[Libs-Or] Booktalk preparation guidelines for compensation

Karen Fischer kfischer at cityofsalem.net
Mon May 16 10:17:39 PDT 2011

Librarianship is not just a job, it is an avocation.  If we aren't
willing to read books on our own time, I personally believe we are in
the wrong profession.  If we need to be paid for every minute we spend
thinking about how we can better serve our community or by reading
current literature to become a better librarian and readers' advisor,
shame on us!

We have the best job in the world - we are paid to share our passion -
how lucky!  At a time when school librarians are fighting to have jobs
at all and public libraries struggle to maintain staffing, to begin a
discussion about getting paid to read books seems out of touch.

If you really don't believe you have time to read outside of work, you
can rely on the many librarians who do read current literature and
generously share their work with all of us.
Sorry about the rant,
Karen Fischer

>>> Barbara O'Neill <barbarao at wccls.org> 5/16/2011 9:43 AM >>>

I have often wondered about this myself. I know many librarians who do
all this prep work during “off” hours. It doesn’t seem right to me.

Barbara O’Neill