[Libs-Or] LTLO November 2011

Jessica Rondema jessica.rondema at state.or.us
Tue Nov 1 08:37:56 PDT 2011

Having trouble viewing this HTML e-mail? Click here<http://oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLONov2011/November2011LTLO.html>

[OSL Building]
Letter to Libraries Online

An Electronic Newsletter from the Oregon State Library

Volume 21, Issue 11, November 2011

Contents:
Library Board News
State Library News
Other Library News
P.S. (From the State Librarian)
Contacts at the State Library

Library Board News

State Library Board Appoints Robert Hulshof-Schmidt as State Librarian

[Robert Hulshof-Schmidt]The Oregon State Library Board of Trustees selected Robert Hulshof-Schmidt<http://oregon.gov/OSL/SLRecruitment/RobertHulshofSchmidtPressRelease.doc> to serve as Oregon's next State Librarian. Hulshof-Schmidt holds a Master's Degree in Library Science from the University of Washington and Bachelor of Arts in English from Willamette University. He succeeds Jim Scheppke<http://oregon.gov/OSL/jim.shtml>, who is retiring December 31st after twenty-five years of service with the State Library, twenty as the Oregon State Librarian. The Board searched for applicants who possessed passion, foresight, and the drive to be the next chief administrative officer of the State Library. The recruitment pool began with 12 applicants who met the qualifications of the position. Five candidates were invited to first round interviews held by telephone with a seven member screening panel. Three candidates were selected to move onto the final stage of the interview process. That consisted of a recorded facilitated public presentation, an internal facilitated forum with State Library staff, a tour of the State Library, a meeting with Jim Scheppke, a meeting with the the State's Chief Operations Officer, Michael Jordan, and an Executive Session meeting with the Board. All stakeholders were encouraged to take an online survey to give input on each candidate. The surveys were then compiled for the Board's review. The following afternoon, the Board of Trustees held an open public session to hear comments regarding the employment of the State Librarian. Then they entered into a closed executive session where no decisions were made. Afterwards the Board announced the reopening of another public session. The Board then voted to make an employment offer to Robert Hulshof-Schmidt. Hulshof-Schmidt is currently the Government Research Services program manager at the State Library and will begin his new role as State Librarian on January 1, 2012. The Board expressed their gratitude to Twyla Lawson, Executive Recruiter for the Oregon Department of Administrative Services for leading this important recruitment process. The Board also expressed gratitude to the screening panel, staff, and stakeholders for their contributions to the recruitment process.

State Library Board Awards LSTA Grants

At their meeting on October 21st, the State Library Board accepted the recommendation of the LSTA Advisory Council to award 13 LSTA competitive grants totaling $676,797. Included in the awards are grants to the University of Oregon Libraries to add content from The Oregonian to the Historic Oregon Newspapers<http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/> website and a grant to the Multnomah County Library to design a new homework help resource for students using the latest digital technology. The Board also approved the overall LSTA budget for next year including funding for statewide projects like Statewide Database Licensing, L-net, the Oregon School Library Information System (OSLIS) and the Plinkit content management system. In other business the Board approved a plan requested by the Legislative Fiscal Office to make reductions to the Library's 2011-13 budget, if state revenue is not adequate to fund the budget adopted by the Legislature last spring. All state agencies are being asked to submit plans to cut up to 10.5% of their General Fund budgets in three increments. The Library is also being asked to submit a plan to cut the Government Research Services budget up to 10.5%. The plan adopted by the Board would cut the Ready to Read Grant Program by up to $202,174 in the second year of the biennium (December, 2012), and cut Government Research Service by up to $630,387, with the loss of six staff positions. The plan will be submitted to the Legislative Fiscal Office in November and may be considered when the Legislature convenes again in February, 2012.

Return to top of page
State Library News

Mary Mayberry, 1952-2011

Our colleague and friend, Mary Mayberry, passed away on October 14, 2011. She had been battling lymphoma for several years. Mary spent most of her adult life working and advocating for libraries. She spent time as the library director of the Lyons Public Library, and was active in the Friends of the Scio Library. Mary joined the staff of the Oregon State Library in December of 1997 on the Talking Book and Braille Services team. In January of 2008 she became the Library Consulting Assistant in Library Development Services. Mary is survived by her father, her husband, and her son.

LSTA Grants Awarded for 2012

LSTA GRANTS AWARDED FOR 2012
The State Library Board of Trustees met October 21 and funded LSTA competitive grants for 2012. The thirteen grants approved total $676,797.

  *   Cornelius Public Library Expanding Latino Outreach $9,645
  *   Multnomah County Library Homework Help @Multnomah County Library $122,055
  *   Multnomah County Library Listos para Aprender $45,420
  *   Oregon Health & Science University/Oregon National Primate Research Center Oregon National Primate Research Center Rare Book Digitization Project $15,797
  *   Oregon Historical Society Oregon History on the Road: Two Traveling Exhibits for Libraries $25,396
  *   Oregon State University Development and Management of Oregon's Tribal Archives, Year 2 $19,180
  *   Pacific University Library Washington County Heritage Online, Year 2 $101,075
  *   Salem Public Library Reaching Out: A Community Assessment Model $50,700
  *   Tualatin Public Library Natural Resources: Mining the knowledge and talents of older adults $39,853
  *   University of Oregon Access to Oregon Folklife Collections Project, Year 2 $40,573
  *   University of Oregon Libraries Historic Oregonian Digitization $125,742
  *   University of Oregon. Special Collections and University Archives Oregon Women's Political History Collection Processing Project $13,017
  *   Western Oregon University Cooperative Governors' Project (Implementation Grant) $68,344

State Library Looking for Suggestions for Nomination to the LSTA Advisory Council

The Oregon State Library is looking for new members for the Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) Advisory Council. We'd really appreciate hearing about any people you would like to suggest for one of the vacancies. Please suggest possible people by November 10. Out of all the suggestions made, two people will be nominated for each vacancy. New Council members will be elected by the Oregon State Library Board of Trustees at their December 9, 2011 meeting. The State Library tries to have a good geographic representation of Oregon in the Council, which may influence who is nominated. Use our survey<http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/VS2K56M> to make suggestions. Please suggest one person per each survey response. You may suggest more than one person by doing multiple surveys.

Demonstration Player Available from Talking Book and Braille Services

[Digital Player]Libraries may now borrow a demonstration model audio book player from Talking Book and Braille Services. If you've been wanting to have a digital book player for demonstrating to print-disabled library patrons, the time has come to get one from Talking Books. Use the player to show your print-disabled patrons how easy it is to listen to a book. Keep a few applications handy and give them to people interested in getting FREE audio books from Talking Book and Braille Services. To get a demonstration audio book player and one demonstration book contact Talking Book and Braille Services or fill out an application for "institutional" service from Talking Books. The application can be found on our website<http://www.tbabs.org/OSL/TBABS/inst_services.shtml#Enrollment>. If you think your library is already registered with Talking Books, please call 503-378-5389 to find out. After your account is updated, or you turn in an application, we will send your library a demonstration digital player and one demonstration book. More books are available for on-demand download from the BARD (Braille and Audio Reading Download) site sponsored by Talking Book and Braille Services of Oregon and the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped. More information on BARD is available on the Talking Books website<http://www.tbabs.org>.

Return to top of page
Other Library News

The State Library's Sister Library Builds Largest Children's Library in China

[Fujian Children's Library]On September 26th, the State Library's sister library in Fujian dedicated the largest children's library in China. The Fujian Children's Library in Fuzhou totals 194,000 square feet and holds a collection of one million books. The library design was inspired by the 2008 Summer Olympics stadium in Beijing popularly known as The Bird's Nest. The library features a parenting room, a toy room, quiet study rooms, rooms for visually and hearing impaired children, a classroom, an auditorium and research and study areas for parents, teachers and social workers. In addition to providing books and other library collections for children, the new library has areas for children to paint, make crafts, learn calligraphy and play computer games. The library will serve an area with a population exceeding seven million. Oregon librarians Frances Lau and Rosalind Wang were on hand for the dedication and the celebration of the centennial of the Fujian Provincial Library, which included a proclamation from Governor Kitzhaber declaring "Oregon and Fujian Library Friendship Day."

Oregon Digital Newspaper Project Receives ACRL-Oregon Award For Excellence

The Oregon chapter of the Association of College and Research Libraries annually awards the ACRL-Oregon Award for Excellence to recognize a significant contribution to Oregon libraries and in particular, academic libraries. The Oregon Digital Newspaper Project<http://oregonnews.uoregon.edu/> was nominated and selected as this year's award winner in recognition of the project's mission to "digitize historic Oregon newspaper content and make it freely available to the public through a keyword-searchable database" and the positive impact this keyword- search accessibility will have for Oregon academic libraries and for the general public of Oregon as well. The project has been the recipient of several LSTA competitive grants, with the newest starting next spring to help digitize The Oregonian from 1906-1922.

Return to top of page
P.S. (From the State Librarian)

[Jim Scheppke]As Oregon State Librarian for the past 20 years I have given out a lot of advice, both solicited and unsolicited. Some of this advice was pretty good and some was undoubtedly wrongheaded. If I had to estimate what percentage of my advice was actually taken and implemented, it would probably be somewhere in the lower quartile. Such is the nature of advice, even from state librarians.

I'm sure when I am retired in a few months I will still have a yearning to give out advice, especially to librarians. It will take a while to get it out of my system. So I take this opportunity to dish out some last minute advice, if for no other reason than to get this advice out of my system, and to hopefully leave some of you with something to ponder.

Advice to the Sage Library System: actively pursue the notion of breaking out of Eastern Oregon to serve any county in the state; I think there are libraries that are interested, and some folks at our generous Oregon foundations who would be willing to help.

Advice to the Orbis Cascade Alliance: most definitely pursue one integrated library system for your entire membership and please include all of the non-Alliance libraries that have longstanding resource-sharing relationships with your members.

Advice to all public library directors who need a new facility: run, don't walk, to see the new main library in downtown Vancouver, Washington, which is state-of-the-art from top to bottom, and take all your "electeds" with you.

Advice to children's librarians: do much more to tout what you do as essential to having 100% of 12th graders in Oregon become proficient readers and meet the new graduation requirement.

Advice to new MLIS graduates: Don't despair about the job market; the huge cohort of baby boomer librarians will exit the scene eventually and the opportunities for you will be great.

Advice to the Oregon Digital Library Consortium: Break your dependency on one content supplier; diversify your suppliers and use each member library's integrated library system as the means of discovery and delivery.

Advice to school librarians: Create a new service model that does not rely on a teacher librarian in every school, but a smaller number of teacher librarians that work with every school and are led by a strong district librarian.

Advice to L-net: Bring in some marketing expertise to rebrand and target specific information niche markets like health information, legal information, homework help, etc.

I'm sure I could fill up several more pages with advice, but I will stop here. Of course I think it is excellent advice, equal in quality to the book recommendations I will be making next month. - Jim Scheppke

Return to top of page
Contacts

Oregon State Library

Library Development: 503-378-2525, MaryKay Dahlgreen<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>, Ferol Weyand<mailto:FerolWeyand at oslmail.osl.state.or.us>, Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>, Ann Reed<mailto:ann.reed at state.or.us>, Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, Katie Anderson<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>.

Talking Book and Braille Services: 503-378-5389, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.[OSL Logo]

Government Research Services: 503-378-5030, Robert Hulshof-Schmidt<mailto:robert.hulshof-schmidt at state.or.us>.

State Librarian: 503-378-4367, Jim Scheppke<mailto:jim.b.scheppke at state.or.us>.

LTLO Editor: 503-378-2464, Jessica Rondema<mailto:jessica.rondema at state.or.us>.

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the Oregon State Library. It is available free of charge and is published only in electronic form on the publications page on the Oregon State Library's homepage: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL.

To unsubscribe from libs-or, either send an 'unsubscribe' message to libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>, or visit the website: http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/.<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/> All materials may be reprinted or distributed freely.

Return to top of page