[Libs-Or] Job Opportunity w/Multnomah County Library

Johnette Easter johnette at multcolib.org
Mon Sep 19 16:49:29 PDT 2011

*NEIGHBORHOOD LIBRARIES SUPERVISOR*

*SALARY: $47,077 to $67,616 annually*

*Deadline to apply: September 30, 2011*

Multnomah County Library (MCL) in Portland, Oregon, transforms lives and is
essential to the health and success of the community. We respect the past,
are attentive to the present and are genuinely excited about the future.
We’re a forward-looking library, engaged in and energized by the challenges
and opportunities facing public libraries in the next several years.

We are seeking a dynamic, service-oriented individual for the position of
Library Supervisor. The position reports directly to the Library Manager.
Pages and clerks report directly to the Supervisor. Reference staff report
to the Manager. The Supervisor and Manager collaborate to ensure the smooth
operation of the library.

The current opening is at the Gresham Library, which is the second largest
of the 18 branches and has a high level of circulation and usage*.  (Please
note:* For fiscal year 2009-2010, Gresham Library's circulation was 840,482 and
number of visits was 511,847). Gresham is the second largest city
in Multnomah County and one of its fastest growing areas. The Library serves
a multicultural neighborhood that includes Latinos, Russian speaking
immigrants and African American families. Currently Gresham Library has
bilingual Russian and Spanish speaking staff and anticipates expanding our
capacity to serve multilingual residents into the future.

*Please note*: Other Neighborhood Library Supervisor vacancies occurring
during the next 12 months may be filled from the list established by this
recruitment.

* *

*Experience*:     One year of responsible readers' advisory and reference
experience in a library is required.  One year of lead (including
person-in-charge) or supervisory experience with paid and/or volunteer staff
is highly desirable. Experience may be obtained from significant lead roles
such as temporary assignments or key roles in service and project
activities, either inside or outside a library setting.  *AND***

* *

*Training*:         Equivalent to a Bachelor's degree from an accredited
college or university                                   in a related field
is required.   A Master’s in Library Science is preferred.

 To learn more about this position or to apply, please visit our website at
www.multcojobs.org.