[Libs-Or] Save-the-date: Usability Basics for the Information Professional - ORSLA Professional Development Event Sept. 20th 6pm

Kati.Arzeta at CH2M.com Kati.Arzeta at CH2M.com
Thu Aug 23 07:16:51 PDT 2012

[Orsla_v3a]
ORSLA Professional Development Team is excited to present "Usability Basics for the Information Professional" a webinar presentation by Uta Hussong-Christian and Jane Nichols of OSU

ORSLA will be holding events in both Corvallis (where Uta & Jane will be) and in Portland. Not able to make it to one of our events? You can connect remotely!

When: September 20th
Time: 6:00-7:30pm
Cost:  Member-online: $7.00
              Member-in person: $10.00
              Non-member online: $12.00
              Non-member in-person: $15.00
              Student: $5.00 (regardless of location)

Note: In-person locations include light snacks

**Registration details to follow soon**
Usability Basics for the Information Professional

If you have ever been baffled by the ways in which your users interact with the web tools and resources that you have worked so hard to create or provide, it may be time to think about usability testing. But don't panic! Just because you are not a usability expert or do not have a local usability group to call upon does not mean that "use-ability" testing is out of reach. In Don't Make Me Think, Steven Krug notes that "After all, usability really just means...making sure that something works well: that a person of average (or even below average) ability and experience can use the thing - whether it's a Web site, a fighter jet, or a revolving door - for its intended purpose without getting hopelessly frustrated." In this session, we will use case studies to demonstrate why information professionals should consider usability testing. We will share tips and tools used to conduct testing so you can improve your users' experiences regardless of the context in which you work.

Uta Hussong-Christian, Oregon State University Libraries Usability Team (former member)
Jane Nichols, Oregon State University Libraries Usability Team (current member)