[Libs-Or] Legislative Action: College Textbooks and Library Reserves

Tony Greiner tony_greiner at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 25 17:30:15 PDT 2012

I have been appointed a member of the "Textbook Work Group" of the Higher Education Coordinating Commission. The Textbook Work Group is appointed to investigate whether or not there is any appropriate legislative action that Oregon can take to reduce the impact of textbook costs on our higher-education students.
Our first hearing was last Thursday, at PSU, and one of the ideas that came up directly effects libraries: It was proposed that publishers of adopted texts provide one 'free' copy to the college's library for every 50 books ordered by the bookstore. The idea is that this copy would then become a reserve that can be used by students who were unable to buy the text. (A study from a couple of years ago found that 30% of Oregon State University students did not buy required textbooks.)
Since I was appointed specifically to represent libraries, I am bringing it to your attention so that you have the ability to comment on this, or any other aspect of textbook costs. You can do this either via email (attach your comments in a .doc or .docx file, please) or by signing up to speak at the next two hearings.  I will pass any comments or testimony I receive onto the committee as a whole. The two remaining public hearings are Sept 13, from noon-1 pm in the State Capitol, and Oct 4 from 2-4 pm at Portland State University.
Please send your comments to:  anthony.greiner at pcc.edu and put "Textbooks" in the subject line.  You can also contact me if you want to testify in person.
MATERIAL SENT TO ME ON THIS MATTER WILL ENTER THE PUBLIC RECORD. Keep in mind that our committee is charged with making recommendations to the legislature about what they can do, so framing your comments in that context will be most useful.
Thanks, Tony Greiner, Portland Community College Library

**tony_greiner at hotmail.com**