[Libs-Or] Catlin Gabel School Seeks Temporary FT Library Asst.

Phillips, Sue PhillipsS at catlin.edu
Wed Jan 4 14:03:27 PST 2012

Catlin Gabel Upper School Library: Temporary FT Library Assistant
Friday, Feb. 10th to Friday, Feb. 17th, 2012 (6 work days)

I’m Sue Phillips, the Upper School Librarian at the Catlin Gabel School on SW Barnes Rd. in Portland.  Our FT library assistant will be absent for several days during busy February, and I am in need of a 3Ž4 to full time assistant to help manage the library during that time. If you have library experience, and are comfortable working with smart, delightful teenagers in a beautiful, congenial environment, please apply. Library school students or not-yet-employed library professionals who wonder what it is like to work in an independent school library may welcome a chance to obtain some short-term paid experience. I’ll be building a substitute list for future openings in any of our three libraries.

The Catlin Gabel Upper School Library serves about 292 students and 45 faculty, as well as a broad range of faculty, staff, parents
and students from other divisions of the school. Our hours are Mon-Fri, from 7:30am to 5pm, with the librarian and assistant arranging their schedules to maintain coverage. The substitute assistant rate of pay is very modest ($11.40/hr.), but the environment, people, and experience are all delightful. Successful applicants must be able to pass a background check through our Human Resources department.  Work duties for this temporary position will include:

• Using the library catalog (Follett Destiny) to check materials in/out
• Checking in periodicals and managing the mail
• Supervising teenagers in a busy, productive, quiet study space
• Assisting with some light reference

TO APPLY:  Please email me with a letter of interest detailing your experience and interest in the position.  I will be in touch soon regarding next steps.

Thank you.

--Sue

--Sue Phillips
Upper School Librarian