[Libs-Or] Library cards for homeless/t​hose without permanent address

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 11:21:11 PDT 2012

 Attached is a Homeless Handbook being developed by the ALA SRRT Task Force
on the Homeless.  People throughout ALA have contributed to the handbook.
This is a draft but it is being well received, as far as I can tell.

There was also a resolution at the ALA 2012 Conference to add the wording
to the ALA Library Bill of Rights to address service to the homeless.  The
resolution did not pass but I believe it was refered to the Intellectual
Freedom Committee.  The IFC, I believe, feels that this is already covered
int the Library Bill of Rights but there is some feeling that they may need
to do something in the interpretations to more directly address the issue
of homelessness.  With the foreclosures happening around the country as
well as other economic problems homelessness or people without a permanent
address is growing.

I am going to look for the ALA Resolution.  I was not able to quickly find
it but will post it as soon as I find it.  It does have good information
within the resolution.

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou