[Libs-Or] Library cards for homeless/those without permanent address

Max Macias mmacias at pcc.edu
Tue Jul 10 13:05:50 PDT 2012

Hi all,

thank you for having this conversation.

It has made me think of library funding and my own library use.

I am a tax payer and thankfully a home owner who pays taxes.

However, I don't really care much for the library--I prefer to buy my own
books, and use the library primarily for story-times for my children--when
it fits my schedule--which is hardly ever.

I'm sure there are MANY MANY people like me, who used to use the library
for videos and music, but I now have Pandora, netflix and a who bunch of
AFFORDABLE alternatives.

So, when it comes to library funding--I have little interest in funding
libraries more.

When I was poor, broke and literally starving--I used the library heavily
and loved it so much I would have given more money to the  library has I
been able to afford it.

Now that I don't need the library, and don't really have much care for
those who are homeless and their reading needs (I'm being totally sarcastic
here), I don't really feel the need to increase library services.  In fact,
since I hardly use the library--I think paying less taxes toward library
funding would be a fantastic idea!

It is ironic the libraries depend on people who can't really afford to buy
their books, films and music, yet--this conversation has got me thinking
about how the people who really NEED libraries can't afford them, while the
people who CAN afford them don't need them.

I am speaking from my own experience and would be interested what you all
think about library funding in a time of economic crisis and ubiquitous
entertainment/education (for those who can afford it).

I think public libraries need to have a philosophical discussion about who
 they serve and who pays for these services.

If libraries are only for those who have money, then libraries are not
meant to stay--and I don't want libraries like this anyway.

I'm sorry I don't have much more time to elaborate--I'm swamped, but wanted
to say something about this issue.

Max Macias

--
Max Macias
TSS Training Team

Training Team Twitter feed @TSSTrainer <https://twitter.com/#%21/TSSTrainer>

PCC TSS Training Team Blog <https://tsstrainingteam.wordpress.com/>

Are you an employee who is off-campus and wants to access a page behind the
firewall, then you have to tweak the URL. Just add the following extra
characters to the front of any Intranet web link: