[Libs-Or] SDLAC: Annual Report, Survey Recap, and New Representatives

Canon Crawford ccrawford at marylhurst.edu
Wed Jun 6 17:59:55 PDT 2012

Dear Oregon Library Community,

There are several updates that I would like to share. The LSTA Advisory
Council accepted the *Annual Report* of the Statewide Database Licensing
Advisory Committee for the period of April 2011 to March 2012 at its May
18th meeting. The report, submitted by the chair on behalf of SDLAC,
summarizes current progress, project objectives, significant developments,
and future plans. The report is attached.

In January, SDLAC asked for constituent feedback on a brief survey to guide
conversations on the next database package RFP. Thank you very much for
your input on this survey. We received 118 responses with 44 respondents
indicating affiliation with k-12 schools, 42 with academic libraries, 28
with public libraries and 4 with "other" affiliations. At this point, I can
say that issues such as database usability, depth of content, and desire
for newspaper content appeared frequently. Further discussion of the survey
will take place at our next meeting this summer, and we will proceed with
discussions on the RFP with an emphasis on scope, content, functionality,
and budget. There are many factors that will add to the complexity of the
discussions including, but not limited to, sole providers of key resources,
vendor relationships with consortia, database indexing in discovery tools,
costs, and depth of databases. We will continue to keep the Oregon library
community informed of the process as it unfolds.

Finally, allow me to congratulate the incoming members of SDLAC and offer
thanks to outgoing members. The new representatives serve a three year
appointment that begins on July 1, 2012.

 *Position #4: Public Library Serving 25,000 to 100,000*
Incoming: Liz Paulus, Cedar Mill Community Library
Outgoing: Current: Linda Malone, Lake Oswego Public Library

*Position #5: Academic Library from an Oregon Community College *
Incoming: Marika Pineda, Director, Lane Community College
Outgoing: Tony Greiner, Portland Community College

 *Position #6: School Library drawn from OASL Membership *
Incoming: Jennifer Parkhurst, Roseburg High School, Roseburg Public Schools
Outgoing: Stephen Cox, Salem Keizer School District

*Position #10: Tribal Library Representative*
Incoming: Marion Mercier, Confederated Tribes of Grand Ronde
Outgoing: Chris Tanner, Coquille Indian Tribe

Here's to a successful year of discussions and planning!

Sincerely,
Canon Crawford
Chair, SDLAC

--
*
Canon Crawford

MARYLHURST UNIVERSITY
17600 PACIFIC HIGHWAY [HWY.43]
P.O. BOX 261  MARYLHURST, OR 97036-00261
marylhurst.edu
*