[Libs-Or] MetroPlan Orlando Board Endorses Wekiva Parkway Financing Plan

James Dorven jamesdorven at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 30 09:23:09 PDT 2012

________________________________
 From: James Dorven <jamesdorven at yahoo.com>
To: "libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us" <libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>
Sent: Friday, March 30, 2012 12:15 PM
Subject: MetroPlan Orlando Board Endorses Wekiva Parkway Financing Plan

Regional transportation board supports building the Wekiva Parkway to complete the beltway around Central Florida.

The
 MetroPlan Orlando board endorsed  the Wekiva Parkway financing plan at
its meeting today, marking the  first approval of the plan.  Next, it
will be reviewed by the  Lake-Sumter Metropolitan Planning Organization
and the Orlando-Orange  County Expressway Authority.

“Wekiva
Parkway completes the last segment of Central Florida’s beltway  and
will have an immense impact on our region’s transportation system  for
the better,” said MetroPlan Orlando Chairman and Seminole County  Commissioner Bob Dallari.  “The financing plan brings a significant  fiscal impact to our region
with only slight delays to our five-year  plan.  The Wekiva Parkway will fuel the economy and create jobs for  years to come.”

The
nearly $1.7 billion project builds 25 miles of new toll expressway
through Orange, Seminole, and Lake counties.  It also constructs several
  miles of non-toll road improvements, including: 1) construction of
seven miles of 4-lane and 6-lane portions of SR 46, 2) reconstruction of
  the US 441/SR 46 interchange in Mount Dora, and 3) relocation of CR
46A  to provide improved wildlife connectivity and local road system
benefits.  If the project receives all necessary approvals, construction
  could begin by fall 2012 and conclude in 2021.

“The Wekiva
Parkway financing plan is a unique partnership between the  Florida
Department of Orlando Transportation, Florida’s Turnpike Enterprise, and  the
Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority,” said MetroPlan Orlando  Executive Director Harry Barley.  “We appreciate the hard work of our  partners to find a way to fund
this important regional project.  A  tremendous amount of effort has
been exerted by many people over the  past decade to bring this project
to life.”

The MetroPlan Orlando board had an extensive
discussion of regional  impacts prior to approving the financing plan.
Though building Wekiva  Parkway will likely result in delaying other
important projects in the  three-county area, the board ultimately felt
the benefits to the region  far outweighed the costs.  The board
recommended that any savings  realized from low bids on Wekiva Parkway
be invested in the delayed  projects where possible.
About MetroPlan Orlando
MetroPlan Orlando is the metropolitan planning organization for
Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties – the Orlando Urban Area.  As the
regional transportation planning organization, MetroPlan Orlando
provides the forum for local elected officials and Orlando transportation
experts to work together to improvetransportation for Central Florida residents, businesses and visitors.  For more information, visit www.metroplanorlando.com.