[Libs-Or] does Oregon need reference librarians?

Emily Ford fordemily at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 10:28:47 PDT 2012

Caleb,
I'm so glad that you posted to Libs-Or about this. I wanted to but was
hesitant.

I took a stand alone reference course in library school. Some of it seemed
like busy work. But I go back to the I gained knowledge each time I get a
tough reference question.

But what was the greatest learning experience I had with reference as a
student was spending 6 months serving as a reference intern and then as an
employee in the trenches of adult services at Monroe County Public Library
in Bloomington, IN. Had I not had a course that covered the reference
interview, reference transactions, etc, my first few months at the public
library would have been awful. The course I took prepared with the theory,
armed me with resources and techniques. Translating them into practice was
fulfilling. How many students these days do reference internships? If they
don't, how can a small portion of a class prepare them for a future job
without course and/or reference "in the trenches" experiences?

My take: we do need reference librarians and reference is not dead. It
looks completely different, but it still happens. Sure, lots of L-Net
questions I answer are about library accounts, fines, etc and lots of
questions I answer at the PSU Library desk deal with printing in our
computer lab. But would I have been able to answer students questions about
finding tests and measures or survey instruments without being a trained
(in the classroom and in the trenches) reference librarian? Probably not.

Maybe the problem is not that reference is dead, but that the traditional
reference course curriculum is. How could a full on reference course
capture the breadth of "traditional" reference practices and also what's
happening with new technologies, new questions, and new literacies? There
must be a way.

Emily