[Libs-Or] LTLO September 2012

Jessica Rondema jessica.rondema at state.or.us
Tue Sep 4 09:10:18 PDT 2012

Having trouble viewing this HTML e-mail? Click here<http://oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLOSep2012/Sep2012LTLO.html>

[OSL Building]
Letter to Libraries Online

An Electronic Newsletter from the Oregon State Library

Volume 22, Issue 9, September 2012

Contents:
Library Board News
State Library News

Other Library News

Contacts at the State Library

Library Board News

State Library Board Approves 2013-15 Proposed Budget

The State Library Board met on Friday, August 24, 2012 at the Oregon State Library. The Board reviewed the 2013-15 Agency Request Budget and approved its submission to the Governor's office for his consideration. The Governor will release his recommended budget in December. The Agency Request Budget was developed by the Board Budget Committee who met a number of times in the first half of 2012. The Committee included three Board members, Sam Hall, Aletha Bonebrake, and Sue Burkholder. Also participating in the Committee were OSL managers and a representative from each program team. The Board also heard a report from Katie Anderson, Youth Services Consultant, on the recently completed Reading for Healthy Families grant project. View the full report<http://cms.oregon.gov/osl/LD/youthsvcs/reading.healthy.families/rfhfYear4FinalReport6-26-2012.pdf> or visit the State Library website<http://cms.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/youthsvcs/rfhf.overview.history.aspx> for more information.

Return to top of page
State Library News

Oregon State Library 2012 Fall Lecture Series - Lecture #1

[TracyHill]The Oregon State Library is pleased to announce our first lecture for our 2012 Fall Lecture series. Our next lecture is Wednesday, September 5, in Room 103 from 12:00-1:00 and features Tracy Hill, coordinator for the McLoughlin Memorial Association<http://www.mcloughlinhouse.org/>. Her presentation is entitled, "Oregon's Holy Rollers: Murder and Madness in Oregon's Love Cult". This is the story of cult leader Franz Edmund Creffield and is a tale of religion, the power of a charismatic leader, lust, scandal, insanity, devotion, murder and suicide. It's a very odd, interesting story, and one that is now largely forgotten. In 1903, Edmund Creffield lured most of Corvallis's Salvation Army soldiers to his own church, the Church of the Bride of Christ. Locally, they were known as the Holy Rollers cult. Most of Creffield's followers were women, and not just any women, but women who were the wives and daughters of respected men, women of high character and standing. The trouble began as both the religious and sexual mores of the time were severely challenged and a community reacted swiftly and negatively. For the past 10 years, Tracy has been the Coordinator for the McLoughlin Memorial Association, working at the Dr. John McLoughlin House museum in Oregon City, leading tours and coordinating special events. Please join us on September 5 as we bring open our Fall Lecture series.

Oregon Public Broadcasting Donates Programs to OSL

[ThinkOutLoudLogo]In 2011, Oregon Public Broadcasting donated copies of the OPB radio program Think Out Loud, and the OPB television program Oregon Experience, to the State Library. The donation was in recognition of the support OPB has received from the Rose E. Tucker Charitable Trust, the Miller Foundation, and the Oregon Cultural Trust. OPB felt that making these programs available to Oregon citizens via the State Library was more meaningful to the foundations than a plaque. We think they're right! The Think Out Loud<http://catalog.willamette.edu/search~S2/t?SEARCH=think+out+loud> programs are on CD, and feature interviews with northwest authors and poets, including Jane Kirkpatrick, Ursula Le Guin, Sherman Alexie, and poet laureate Paulann Petersen. The Oregon Experience<http://catalog.willamette.edu/search~S2?/toregon+experience/toregon+experience/1%2C3%2C35%2CB/exact&FF=toregon+experience+television+program&1%2C31%2C/indexsort=-> programs are on DVD, and cover a broad range of topics, including the Oregon bottle bill, Opal Whitley, the Modoc War, Vortex I, and microbreweries. These programs are available on inter-library loan to Oregon libraries, and on direct loan to Oregon citizens who visit the State Library.

Rebuilt OSLIS Website Went Live in Mid-July

[OSLISLogo]<http://oslis.org/>OSLIS<http://oslis.org> is a K12 website with three main features: information literacy resources; access to the statewide databases for Oregon K12 students and educators; and Citation Maker, a citation generator in MLA and APA formats. The website is a project of the Oregon Association of School Libraries<http://oasl.memberclicks.net/> in partnership with the Oregon State Library. You may recall that because of intermittent access issues that could not be resolved, and on the advice of outside experts, last fall we pulled down OSLIS and coordinated efforts to rebuild the site. For about the last nine months, OSLIS Lite was up instead, but it could only provide access to some OSLIS resources, not all of them. After much work and testing, the rebuilt version of OSLIS went live in mid-July. Since going live, the site has been stable and access has been constant. Note that the rebuilt OSLIS is the same as the former fuller site except that it no longer has the My Stuff folder. That was a virtual space to store work related to a current research project, and we did not pay to rebuild the feature because there are now many cloud applications, like Google docs, that serve the same purpose and do even more. If you run into any problems on the rebuilt site, please report them. Use the feedback link found in the header on any OSLIS page, or send an email to Jen Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, the School Library Consultant at OSL. Have questions? Please ask.

Help Improve the Oregon.gov State Portal

[TakeTheSurvey]The State of Oregon is planning to launch a new Oregon.gov portal. One of the first steps is to launch a survey to find out why people visit Oregon.gov, what they're looking for, and how they want to interact with state government. There's a link to the survey at the State of Oregon's website<http://www.oregon.gov> or you can access the survey directly: Take the survey!<https://oregondas.allegiancetech.com/cgi-bin/qwebcorporate.dll?idx=BERGGM>

2012 Public Library Statistics Collection Now Ongoing

The 2012 Public Library Statistical Report<http://collect.btol.com/> is now open. Please call or email<mailto:ann.reed at state.or.us> Ann for help early and often at (503) 378-5027, or check out the FAQ<http://libdev.plinkit.org/faqs-for-state-statistical-reports>.

Return to top of page
Other Library News

Lake Oswego Reads Program Wins National Award

[LOPL]<http://www.ci.oswego.or.us/library/lake-oswego-reads-0>Lake Oswego Reads<http://www.ci.oswego.or.us/library/lake-oswego-reads-0> is an annual community reading program sponsored by the Lake Oswego Public Library<http://www.ci.oswego.or.us/library> with the goal of strengthening civic pride, fostering thoughtful discussion, and bringing the community together through the common bond of reading a selected book. About 30 special events are offered during the month of February to extend readers' experience with and appreciation of the book, which is announced in January. "This year's cumulative attendance reached over 10,000," noted LOPL's Coordinator of Volunteers and Programs, Cyndie Glazer. Lake Oswego Reads, which began in 2007, has expanded every year and has become such an integral part of Lake Oswego culture that it was recognized nationally. Earlier this summer, the program won an Outstanding Achievement Award from the U.S. Conference of Mayors City Livability Award committee. The City Livability program<http://usmayors.org/citylivabilityawards/> has existed for over 30 years and "honors mayors and their city government for developing programs that enhance the quality of life in urban areas." About the award, Library Director Bill Baars stated, "I am thrilled that our community and our library have received this prestigious national recognition for the Lake Oswego Reads program. I am continually astounded that this seed of an idea has blossomed into this incredible garden of activity." For more information about Lake Oswego Reads, contact Cyndie<mailto:cglazer at ci.oswego.or.us>. [Thanks to Jackie Rose at Lake Oswego Public Library for her assistance with this article.]

Return to top of page
Contacts

Oregon State Library

Library Development: 503-378-2525, Ferol Weyand<mailto:FerolWeyand at oslmail.osl.state.or.us>, Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>, Ann Reed <mailto:ann.reed at state.or.us> , Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, Katie Anderson<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>.

Talking Book and Braille Services: 503-378-5389, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.

Acting Government Research Services Manager: 503-378-5030, Arlene Weible<mailto:arleneweible at state.or.us>.
[OSL Logo]
State Librarian: 503-378-4367, MaryKay Dahlgreen<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>.

LTLO Editor: 503-378-2464, Jessica Rondema<mailto:jessica.rondema at state.or.us>.

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the Oregon State Library. It is available free of charge and is published only in electronic form on the publications page on the Oregon State Library's homepage: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL.

To unsubscribe from libs-or, either send an 'unsubscribe' message to libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>, or visit the website: http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/.<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/> All materials may be reprinted or distributed freely.

Return to top of page