[Libs-Or] Policies regarding co-sponsoring programs?

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Sun Apr 7 15:21:55 PDT 2013

Well, Ann, that's a really good question. I'm actually not aware of how
any City-wide anti-discrimination policies would apply in that
situation, and it's probably something I should look into. I expect that
if an overt hate group tendered a request to use a meeting room, I would
probably be talking to my City Attorney for advice.

Hate groups and the like are extreme cases and are not something I have
any experience with, but I do have experience with community members
acting with incredulity about church groups being "allowed" to make use
of library facilities, or fielding concerns about kids playing Dungeons
& Dragons engaging in "Satanic behavior," and I'm pretty glad that I'm
able to point to the policy of non-discrimination and ask the
complainant if the group is actually doing anything disruptive to their
enjoyment of the library other than merely existing!

I've worked in another library that had a policy of not allowing ANY
politically partisan or religious groups to use the meeting room
facilities, out of fear of being forced to host controversial guests. I
was pretty surprised no one had legally challenged it, honestly. Overall
having a more open policy has been a lot less of a headache for me, and
I think it's more in keeping with the library as a public space.

Kirsten Brodbeck Kenney
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library

>>> MILLER Anne M <Anne.M.Miller at ci.eugene.or.us> 04/07/13 12:09 PM >>>
How does this fit with an organization’s or a city’s anti-discrimination
and equity policy? Some cities have anti-racist policies and standards.
A library that gives meeting space to a blatantly racist group would
alienate and intimidate me and would certainly impair my equal access to
that library.

Anne Miller
Youth Services Librarian