[Libs-Or] Disaster Distress Helpline

Arlene Weible arlene.weible at state.or.us
Mon Apr 22 08:23:09 PDT 2013

I recently was made aware of this website from the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration of the U.S. Dept. of Health and Human Services. Given the events in our country over the last week, I thought others might like to become more familiar with this tool as a possible referral resource to library patrons.

Disaster Distress Helpline
http://disasterdistress.samhsa.gov/
"...the first 24/7, year-round national crisis hotline exclusively dedicated to providing free, immediate and confidential crisis counseling and support to people in distress related to any natural or man-made disaster, such as the explosions in Boston. We offer this counseling 24/7/365 through phone (1-800-985-5990) and through SMS/text messaging (text 'TalkWithUs' to 66746) - and DDH is for those affected, family member and loved ones, as well as for responders."

The site also provides links to other services related to disaster recovery and offers some great practical advice and additional resources on coping with the stress of disaster recovery.

--Arlene

Arlene Weible
Electronic Services Consultant
Oregon Federal Regional Depository Coordinator
Library Development Services
Oregon State Library
250 Winter St NE
Salem OR, 97301