[Libs-Or] options for public computing

Jay Hadley jayh at multcolib.org
Tue Jan 15 12:00:51 PST 2013

Hi, we have public PC's with a reservation system in our Multnomah County
Libraries and also offer Chromebooks for in-library use only, for two
hours.  Patrons have the option of checking out a mouse and headphones with
the Chromebook.  They have to sign up (sign a form) and show i.d. in
addition to showing their library card to get a Chromebook.  They are
responsible for getting it back to us in time and there are fines if they
don't check it back in within two hours.  The Chromebooks are mostly used
for web browsing.  Printing is not currently possible from a Chromebook but
I understand that functionality will be added to our system eventually.
 People like the Chromebooks.  It allows them to use a computer at whatever
table they want to in the library, not just in our PC computer area.
 People like that.  The PC's are still important to patrons and heavily
used, as you can work on a much wider variety of documents on a PC.

Jay

--
*Jay Hadley*
Supervisor, Gresham Library