[Libs-Or] Regular shelf reading in small libraries

Sara Kelso sara.kelso at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 09:48:56 PST 2013

I am seeking feedback from small libraries who do not have dedicated page staff for shelving and shelf-reading.  I work in a small public library with a collection that contains a large percentage of children's materials, about half of which are in Spanish.  We are trying to devise a regular shelf-reading system that might engage both volunteers and part-time staff; past efforts have fizzled due to motivation, training, and availability of staff or dependable, regular volunteers.  We'd like to ideally devise a simple spreadsheet for people to initial when a section is completed, with a weekly and/or monthly report.  We are hoping to recruit more volunteers solely for shelf-reading, but currently have no regular volunteers who shelf read.  We have about five volunteers who are qualified, with a good familiarity with Dewey, but are currently focused on other tasks like check-in and pulling holds.
Who is responsible for managing and/or tracking this at your library?How much time is dedicated to this task on a regular basis for volunteers and/or staff?  How are shifts typically arranged?Who does the actual shelf reading?  Volunteers?  Staff?  Both?What kinds of roadblocks have you encountered?  Successes?
Your feedback is invaluable!
Thank you!

Sara KelsoLibrary Aide/Library AssistantCornelius Public Library/Sherwood Public LibraryMLIS Student, San Jose State University