[Libs-Or] Events with large groups in small spaces

Maureen Cole mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us
Tue Jan 29 16:04:51 PST 2013

Hi everyone:
We are having author Cheryl Strayed in March and we are likely to get a lot of attendees, quite possibly more than our small space can handle. What have you done in your library to manage attendance, both ahead of time (i.e. giving out tickets to 'reserve' a space) and the day of (i.e. lines, turning people away etc.) I'm already getting calls from people who are interested and don't want to get shut out, but frankly we've never managed sign-ups for anything larger than groups of 20 people or so. Now that I have written this and jinxed the event, we will have about 10 show up...now I've done it. Well, if you have any good ideas, please write to me and share them anyway. There are always future events I have not jinxed yet.

Thank you for your help!
Mo

PS We don't have a meeting room so these events are after hours. We have to close the library to get set up, people have to wait outside for that to happen, and we do not offer library service during the program as that would interrupt the program. Not ideal. Just so you have the big picture...

 [cid:image001.jpg at 01CDFE3A.5EABAD40]

Maureen Cole
mcole at orcity.org<mailto:mcole at ci.oregon-city.or.us>
Library Director
Oregon City Public Library
606 John Adams Street
Oregon City, Oregon 97045
503-657-8269 ext 1010
503-657-3702 Fax

Website: www.orcity.org/library<http://www.orcity.org/library>
PUBLIC RECORDS LAW DISCLOSURE:
This e-mail is subject to the State Retention Schedule and may be made available to the public.