[Libs-Or] Free Online Learning Opportunities!

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Mon Jun 3 13:45:55 PDT 2013

Happy Summer Everyone!

Here is your semimonthly listing of various free training opportunities for the first half of June. As a quick reminder: Northwest Central<http://www.nwcentral.org/> has a calendar of online events and here’s what’s currently posted for the month of June<http://nwcentral.org/calendar/2013-06>.

Please see the end of this email for a list of free, online trainings
by Gale/Cengage Learning for the entire month of June and early July!

The State Library has web page where you can peruse sites offering archived versions of previous webinars – check it out<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/resources/conted.aspx>! Now updated with sources for paid online courses and new sources for free archived webinars!

For the first  half of June, the following webcasts will be presented for free by The Accessible Technology Coalition, American Libraries Live, American Management Association, Booklist, Colorado State Library, Educause, Georgia Library Association, Grantspace, Infopeople, Insync Training, Library Journal, NASA, National Library of Medicine, Nebraska Library Commission, Nonprofit Webinars, O’Reilly, San Jose State University’s SLIS Program, TechSoup for Libraries, Texas State Library and Archives Commission, TL Virtual Cafe, VolunteerMatch,  Washington State Library, WebJunction, and the Wyoming State Library (and more!)

Keep in mind it may be useful to periodically check the calendars mentioned for updated/new offerings in addition to the items below.

==>Please make sure to check the link for each item to confirm the time and convert to local (Pacific) time as needed: Pacific time is one hour behind Mountain time, two hours behind Central time, and three hours behind Eastern time.

June 3 (5-6pm) / Connect, Share, Learn, Grow: That's The Way We Roll! (Teacher-Librarian Virtual Cafe)
TL Virtual Cafe Webinar Series Season Finale: Online communities and learning networks are helping hundreds of thousands of educators learn, reduce isolation and providing “just in time” access to knowledge and opportunities for collaboration. Learn ways to help your school, district and state become connected, collaborative educators.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://tlvirtualcafe.wikispaces.com/June+3%2C+2013+Webinar

June 4 (9-10 am) / Getting the Most Out of Online Genealogy Sources (Washington State Library)
(Note: the primary audience for this session is library staff from Washington state; however, staff from Oregon might find some aspects informative).

Genealogy continues to be a hot topic in libraries. And as more and more materials become available online, including digitized images of primary sources, the amount of information can be overwhelming, even for the most dedicated family historian. Join Kim Smeenk, of the Washington State Library, as she conducts a tour of web sites that will help you guide your patrons to valuable sources for family history such as vital records and historic newspapers. Kim will also share some tips that will help your patrons get the most out of searching two of the top genealogy web sites, Ancestry.com and FamilySearch.org.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.sos.wa.gov/library/libraries/firsttuesdays/default.aspx

June 4 (11a-12p) / Amp Up Your Technology Training (WebJunction)
A webinar on technology training for communities. Learn how OASIS Connections classes are helping communities build skills and confidence using computers, the Internet and today's technology.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction.html

June 4 (12-1 pm) / A New Era in Nonprofit Marketing: Why Winging It with Social Media No Longer Works (NonProfit Webinars)
If you’ve dipped your toe in the social media waters, do you wonder why you aren’t reaching more people or raising more dollars? If you haven’t yet begun, have you considered what social media marketing might do to help you reach – or not reach — your goals? This webinar will explore why winging it no longer works in 2013 (e.g., putting up a page and sporadically begging for ‘likes’ and ‘follows’) and help you dive gracefully into the deep end. Plus, we’ll discuss the resources needed to achieve success and how to measure the return on your investment and engagement.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nonprofitwebinars.com/webinars/

June 4 (1-2 pm) / Be the Change: Take the Lead on Standards: Common Core and More (School Library Journal)
Whether your district is Common Core or not, its arrival and collision with the broad digital transition create unmatched opportunity for librarians to take leadership on meeting standards using their collection development and technology skills–mixing up materials and tools, stepping up the professional development role with teachers, innovating on the collection level, informing curriculum, and integrating digital tools.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.slj.com/category/webcasts/

June 4 (12-1p) / LibraryBox: Portable Private Digital Distribution (InfoPeople)
LibraryBox is an open source project designed to allow for the distribution of digital materials (books, music, movies, datasets) in the absence of reliable Internet connectivity. The hardware that LibraryBox uses is very inexpensive ($35) and the code is freely available, making it an attractive option for outreach and service to underserved areas for libraries. LibraryBox is a key that can unlock many possibilities for your services. This webinar will discuss how you can build your own LibraryBox, use-cases (systems to accomplish a particular goal), the development of the project from its beginnings, and where it’s headed in the future.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar

June 5 (9-10a) / How Leaders Build Virtual Trust and Influence (American Management Association)
In this webcast, leadership development experts Charles H. Green and Kristi Hedges, explore how successful leaders are using influence best practices in creative and unique ways suited for managing in a virtual environment. You’ll hear “from the trenches” perspectives that explain common issues in leading virtual teams with concrete advice for solving the problems that arise from them.
As virtual management becomes the new normal, this webcast equips you with practical tools to be a trusted, present leader in any environment.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.amanet.org/news/events-calendar.aspx

June 5 (10-11a) / Leadership Engagement as an Operations Strategy (NonProfit Webinars)
Organizations frequently overlook the “critical middle”–how the exercise of leadership at all levels and how the application of a well-integrated operations strategy contribute to results and outcomes. This webinar offers a practical framework for integrating defined leadership and management practices into a holistic operations strategy in order to maximize organizational outcomes. Strategic plans are crucial. Policies and systems are practical. But without an explicit operations strategy and a unified approach to leading and managing the human systems across an organization, significant promise is left unattained.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nonprofitwebinars.com/webinars/

June 5 (12-1p) / Crowdfunding: Not just for first-world problems (NonProfit Webinars)
Sometimes it seems like crowdfunding is just for new digital devices, iPhone covers and games. But crowdfunding can be used a powerful tool for social change! Whether you’re an established non-profit or a social start-up crowdfunding can help you activate and expand your supporter base and maximise your fundraising to make a difference. This webinar will introduce you to both the theory and practice of crowd funding, dispelling misconceptions, exploring case-studies and giving attendees the knowledge they need to utilize this new fundraising form in the pursuit of their social mission.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nonprofitwebinars.com/webinars/

June 5 (12-1p) / Rejuvenate Your Space: Top Building Trends in Library Design (Library Journal)
Looking to spruce up your space? More than just a home for books, a library is a living organism, a vibrant community center for learning, digital content discovery, and exploration. Shouldn’t your 21st century patrons have a 21st century library? Learn about the top building trends in exterior and interior design from architects who have reinvigorated and reimagined library spaces throughout the United States. Breathe new life into your library.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/category/webcasts/

June 6 (11a-12p) / 2013 ALA Annual Conference Exhibitor Preview (American Libraries)
Our next episode of AL Live will provide attendees with an expert-led to-do list for the ALA Annual Conference. Our panel will discuss what their excited about seeing on the Exhibition Floor. Whether you're attending the conference or not, this is a great opportunity to learn about what's new, what's exciting and what's trending.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://americanlibrarieslive.org/

June 6 (11a-12p) / The New Reality of Virtual Training (Training Magazine Network)
The way we learn has changed. With just a few taps, we can now find and share information with anyone, anywhere. Today’s training professionals must embrace the new technology and create an environment where people can gain knowledge the way they want to. Join Cammy Bean, Vice President of learning design for Kineo, as she explores the resources and performance tools that are supporting this revolution in learning.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.trainingmagnetwork.com/welcome/Webinar%20Calendar

June 6 (12-1p) / The Accessible Website: If You Build It, Everyone Can Come (InfoPeople)
Libraries strive to be welcoming, friendly places for users of all types, including those with disabilities. From wheelchair ramps and handicapped parking to simple offerings such as large print books and good signage – these are some of the things that make a library’s physical space accessible. But what about the library’s online presence? This webinar will shed light on some of the common barriers faced by certain users and will provide techniques for identifying and fixing the problems.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar

June 6 (12-1p) / Data-Driven Libraries Part 1: Analyzing Data to Manage Print Collections (Library Journal)
Data-driven collection analysis is growing quickly as libraries take advantage of the new tools and services on the market that allow for rapid evidence-based decision making about everything from what materials to buy and how to deploy collections. Such data is also underpinning large collaborative efforts to create shared strategies for management of print collections.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://lj.libraryjournal.com/category/webcasts/

June 10 (11a-12p) / Social Media for Trainers (Insync Training)
Explore the use of free technologies like blogs, wikis, Facebook, Twitter, and online groups to help build communication, increase participation, and enhance transfer of training to the job. We'll both define and demystify each tool. You will get ideas for applying low-cost collaboration strategies to your own training programs—both classroom and online!

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://us.insynctraining.com/bozarth-programs/

June 11 (11a-12p) / Geek the Library Informational Webinar (Geek the Library)
Get a complete Geek the Library overview and your questions answered in a live format. Our informational webinars are a simple way to learn about the details before committing to participate in the program.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://get.geekthelibrary.org/webinars/

June 11 (11a-12p) / Summertime and the Listening Is Easy (Booklist)
Celebrate National Audiobook Month with Booklist and audiobook publishers AudioGO, Books On Tape/Listening Library, Dreamscape Audio, Galaxy Press, and L.A. Theatre Works. Be the first to learn about new summer and fall titles during this hour-long, free webinar as we arm you with audio suggestions for family car trips, summer-reading lists, and more.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.booklistonline.com/GeneralInfo.aspx?id=63

June 11 (12-1p) / Telling the Right Story for Your Online Campaign (NonProfit Webinars)
Pink Slime. The Boy Scouts of America. Trayvon Martin. Each of these news stories started with an online petition that led to real, tangible impact. Each represents the power that people and organizations have today to engage and motivate hundreds and thousands of supporters to take action. The internet, social networks and mobile technology provide an unprecedented opportunity to increase the efficiency and impact of the time proven model of collective action, but you still need a story. Learn lessons from Change.org about how to not only tell a good story, but how to tell the right story.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nonprofitwebinars.com/webinars/

June 12 (8-9a) / Tech Talk with Michael Sauers: Working with Wikipedia (Nebraska Library Commission)
Next to Google, Wikipedia is the major source of information used by people today. But libraries also own much content that isn't available on Wikipedia, so how should we make sure users don't stop there? In this session, Aaron Tay, Senior Librarian & eServices Facilitator at National University of Singapore, will cover ideas on how to link resources from Wikipedia to library resources using various tools including John Mark Ockerbloom's Forward to Libraries service. In the opposite direction, libraries can also move in and use Wikipedia entries to enhance findability of their collections.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nlc.nebraska.gov/scripts/calendar/eventlist.asp?Mode=ALL

June 12 (8-9a) / Uncovering Free and Low Cost Legal Resources (Wyoming State Law Library)
There are an abundance of free legal research resources available.  Some resources provide all of their content for free while others provide a mixture of free and fee-based information.  We will review a variety of electronic resources including university and nonprofit organization sites, government sites, and more. As with any resource, we will discover that one legal resource is more valuable than another for particular types of research.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/908186494

June 12 (9-10a) / The Brain-Based Approach to Building Brilliant Teams (American Management Association)
We all want to lead teams where the members act like owners, take performance personally, and are high-energy and ready to rock. In today’s bottom-line business world, results are what it’s all about. And consistent exceptional results require a dream team.
In this program you’ll discover the keys to: Optimizing human performance and engagement by applying the latest neuroscience techniques and Cultivating Passion in your teams and yield more effective leadership and innovation in your organization.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://www.amanet.org/news/events-calendar.aspx

June 12 (10-11a) / The Case for Integrated Planning (NonProfit Webinars)
The term “strategic planning” gets attached to a wide range of nonprofit planning—for programs and services, budgeting, communications, information technology, etc. But these address very different kinds of issues, and should involve different participants, processes, tools, and products. We’ll look at the various kinds of planning needed by a nonprofit, see how they can intersect with and reinforce each other, and consider an approach that is more strategic, more effective, and less stressful.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nonprofitwebinars.com/webinars/

June 12 (11a-12p) / Support Patron Learning in Small Spaces with Small Budgets (WebJunction)
In small communities, libraries can often be the only provider of free public access to technology and the internet. And as more people turn to their library to learn technology skills, even the tiniest of libraries are faced with the challenge of providing training to patrons with limited staff, resources, and space. Learn from small and rural libraries who are making training a reality for their patrons, using volunteers, leveraging partnerships and integrating learning into everyday interactions. Whether the technology training you do (or want to do) is one-to-one, on-the-fly or a more formal program, this session will include tips and suggestions for improving the effectiveness of the training you provide.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: https://www.webjunction.org/events/webjunction.html

June 12 (11:30a -12:30p) / Data-Driven Libraries Part 2: Understanding Customers Through Segmentation Analytics (Library Journal)
Customer segmentation studies and data analytics combines demographic data with lifestyle information to help public libraries better understand who their customers are and what services best meet the community’s need, whether school-aged children or empty-nester couples. This type of GIS-based market segmentation can also help inform strategies around such initiatives as a levy ballot and also eliminate inefficient marketing efforts.

For more information and to register for this program, visit:
http://lj.libraryjournal.com/category/webcasts/

June 12 (11:30a-12:30p) / Why aren’t they reading quietly?! Messing around at the library (Colorado State Library)
Do you seek ideas on how to turn your library from a grocery store to a kitchen? Are you looking for ways to engage folks in your library? Come hang out, mess around and geek out with us. Get inspiration from others about letting creation and HOMAGO happen in your library.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://cslinsession.cvlsites.org/

June 12 (12-1p) / Community Led Library Service Development (InfoPeople)
Instead of adding projects or tasks to library staff in an effort to promote library services, the community-led approach establishes the library staff as trained listeners and brokers of awareness to provide service development for both marginalized and comfortable community sectors. The community-led approach helps the library to identify which traditional library roles are now redundant, and thus of little worth to the community, allowing both professional library staff and support staff to concentrate on those services that are meaningful to the public. Community-led service development allows both the community and its library staff to grow, become engaged in the civic sphere they share and find the best venues for individuals to pursue their aspirations for their primary needs of health and welfare, as well as life-long learning and the support of personal values.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://infopeople.org/training/view/webinar

June 12 (12-1p) / To Raise More Money, Tell A Story (NonProfit Webinars)
>From the story of creation to the flood of Noah to the Gilgamesh Epic, our ancestors have taught us that the most effective device for learning and engagement as well as to motivate action is the story. This Webinar will apply the art of storytelling to the development process–most particularly the major gifts face-to-face solicitation and stewardship functions. The webinar is intended for senior professionals and volunteers who engage with the public, both one-on-one or in group settings.

For more information and to register for this program, visit: http://nonprofitwebinars.com/webinars/

The following free webinars are available in June and July to learn more about the Gale products available through the State Library’s Statewide Database Licensing Program<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/technology/sdlp/index.aspx>. If you can’t attend the live webinar, archived recordings of previous training sessions<http://www.cengagesites.com/Literature/790/gale-cengage-library-training/on-demand-training/> are also available.

Opposing Viewpoints in Context:
More than just pro/con source, this dynamic online library includes topic overviews, statistics, legislative data and more. Learning this interface will also help you navigate other “In Context” databases offered by Gale, including Student Resources in Context, U.S. History in Context.

  *   June 5, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12354&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *   June 17, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12355&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *   June 27, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12356&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
Gale Power Search
Many Gale databases use this search interface, so this webinar would be a  great introduction to those new to using the Gale products.
Also, learn how to use the cross-database search capacity of Power Search to increase the reach of your searching.

  *   July 1, 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12349&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
Health and Wellness Research Center:
Learn how to navigate this valuable tool that  quickly connects users to targeted, authoritative medical information from periodicals and reference resources (including video).

  *   July 2, 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12352&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
Business Insights: Essentials:
Learn more about this new business research tool that combines news, articles, and statistical analysis with an easy to use interface.

  *   June 4, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12341&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *    June 10, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12342&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *   June 26, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12343&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
Gale Virtual Reference Library (GVRL):
Learn more this award winning Reference tool named Best Overall Database for 2012 by Library Journal.

  *   June 6, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12336&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *   June 12, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12337&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *   June 28, 8:00 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12338&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
Gale Usage and Administrative Tools Learn how to exploit these tools to give your library users the best research experience.

Gale Admin Tool:

  *   June 28, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12348&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
Gale Usage Website:

  *   June 10, 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12350&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>
  *   July 2, 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m. (PT)<http://s2138.t.en25.com/e/er?channel=Eloqua&elq_mid=6007&elq_cid=2655252&s=2138&lid=12351&elq=855b5d9c34ff45d0953228075ee69380>

It may be possible to arrange in person training for your library staff, particularly for if you can host a session for other library staff in your geographic area. Please contact Arlene Weible<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us> (503-378-5020) if you would like to discuss options!

Cheers,
Darci
Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant * Library Development Services
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>

<http://oregon.plinkit.org/>