[Libs-Or] Early career librarians seeking support? OLA's revised Mentoring Program

Emily PAPAGNI emilyp at multco.us
Thu Jun 13 23:11:04 PDT 2013

Dear Colleagues,

In an effort to more broadly meet the needs of librarians in the state, we
have revised our criteria for mentees participating in the OLA Mentoring
program. Now, if you have an MLS, but are currently working in a
non-professional capacity in a library or information organization, we
encourage you to participate in the program. We also wanted to open up the
program to those who do not have an MLS, but are working in professional
positions in libraries or other information organizations. We recognize
that especially in rural areas, some people who are working in professional
positions may not have the credentials, but likely still have the
professional development needs. We want to support you.

Our new mentee requirements are below. If you meet them and have
professional development goals you’re trying to meet, we encourage you to
apply to to be paired up with a mentor.

To become a mentee, you must meet *ALL* of the following requirements:

1. Be an OLA Member.
2. Hold an MLIS or equivalent (MSIS, MLS, etc.) AND/OR have been in a
professional library position(s) for fewer than five years
3. Currently be working in a library in some capacity (volunteer,
paraprofessional, professional).
4. Commit to at least one year (or nine months for librarians on nine-month
contracts) with the program. Mentors and mentees can continue their
relationship beyond the required time period if they choose.
5. Have a strong interest in professional development.
6. Be willing to share goals and challenges.
7. Be open to feedback and advice.

Additional links:
• Mentee application
• Information about the mentoring program and its requirements
• Guidelines and best practices for being a mentor

Have questions? Contact us at mentor at olaweb.org

Meredith Farkas, Portland State University Library
Shirley Sullivan, Beaverton City Library
Emily Papagni, Multnomah County Library