[Libs-Or] Josephy Library update

Rich Wandschneider rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 19:56:54 PDT 2013

Our volunteer cataloger, Shannon Maslach, is getting some help. Whitman
college student Erik Anderson is our summer intern—and he is flying! We are
concentrating on cataloging books from the Josephys, but sneaking in books
from other sources that are important to Indian and Pacific Northwest
history. There are hundreds of books still in boxes, but Erik is moving
fast. And we are part of the SAGE network of libraries in Eastern Oregon,
administered out of Eastern Oregon University, so you can go to
http://catalog.sage.eou.edu/eg/opac/home?locg=1  to mark his progress and
check our holdings.

Alvin Josephy subscribed to and collected many journals having to do with
Western and Indian history and affairs. We are—slowly—processing them,
putting each journal and our holdings on its own Excel spread sheet. But I
thought people might like to have a general idea of what we are putting on
the shelves.  You might also have recommendations as to which journals it
will be important to “fill in” missing volumes, and which ones we should be
subscribing to (knowing that we have a tight budget).
One other note: it is sometimes obvious that Alvin collected a particular
journal—e.g., The Colorado Magazine—as he worked on a particular book—in
this case the *Civil War in the West*. Go to
http://josephylibrary.blogspot.com/  for more info on periodicals and the
current rough list of holdings.

best,
rich