[Libs-Or] LTLO May 2013

Jessica Rondema jessica.rondema at state.or.us
Wed May 1 09:21:56 PDT 2013

Having trouble viewing this HTML e-mail? Click here<http://oregon.gov/osl/LTLO/LTLOMay2013/May2013LTLO.html>

[OSL Building]
Letter to Libraries Online

A Monthly Newsletter from the Oregon State Library

Volume 23, Issue 5, May 2013

Contents:
Library Board News
State Library News
Contacts at the State Library

Library Board News

State Library Board Met in Vancouver, Washington

The State Library Board of Trustees met in Vancouver, Washington, at the Vancouver Community Library on Wednesday, April 24th, prior to attending the OLA/WLA Conference<http://wala.memberclicks.net/2013-conference-home> at the Hilton Vancouver. The Board heard an update on the agency reorganization, assessed Key Performance Measure #15 regarding Board best practices, and approved the change to the Board bylaws regarding Government Research Services Advisory Council member selection.

Return to top of page
State Library News

2013 Spring Lecture Series Concludes

[Williams]The Oregon State Library is pleased to announce our fourth and final lecture in our 2013 Spring Lecture Series. On Wednesday, May 1, in Room 103 from 12:00-1:00, we welcome Travis Williams, Executive Director of Willamette Riverkeepers who will discuss Oregon's second largest river, the Willamette. In 2009, Travis published, The Willamette River Field Guide (Timber Press, Portland, OR), which tells the story of Oregon's earliest inhabitants, the connection between the river and the towns along its banks, the wildlife it supports, and the effects of alterations to its geography and ecology. This presentation will focus upon the numerous recreation opportunities along the river, threats and challenges to the river's overall health, and discussing the vast amount of work protecting and restoring the river. A fifth-generation Oregonian who grew up in Milwaukie, Oregon, Travis Williams has worked in river conservation since the 1990s and since 2000 has led Willamette Riverkeeper, a nonprofit organization that focuses on clean water, habitat restoration, and low-impact river recreation, principally in canoes and kayaks. Previously, he worked for American Rivers and Conservation International in Washington DC. He is an avid canoeist who has traveled many western rivers and photographed their natural beauty. He holds a B.A. in International Studies from Portland State University and an M.S. in Environmental Science from The Johns Hopkins University. Please join us in March as our Spring Lecture Series concludes.

Library Development is Moving

[Boxes]During the first week of June, the Library Development team will move to the other side of the State Library. Our new office suite will be on the north side of the first floor. If you enter the lobby from the main entrance on the Capitol Mall, make a right instead of a left. You will find us in suite 104, which is on the right just before the glass doors that lead to the Talking Book and Braille Services front desk. We will check email and phone messages during the move, but there could be short periods when we are offline. Note that our phone numbers will stay the same. Questions? Contact<http://www.oregon.gov/osl/LD/Pages/contact_us_directory.aspx> anyone in Library Development. Image: IFA - Ivan Coyier<http://ivancoyier.deviantart.com/>

Circulation of YA Materials Added to Public Library Statistical Report for FY 2012-2013

In response to a request from the Oregon Young Adult Network, a division of the Oregon Library Association, and the Washington County Cooperative Library Service Policy Group, the annual public library statistical report will break out the circulation of young adult materials. This would count the circulation of materials aimed at the 12-18 age range, kept as a distinct material type from juvenile or other children's materials. The circulation of young adult materials will be broken into first-time circulation and renewals.

State Library Closed on State Furlough Day

[Furlough]Due to state budget cuts, the Oregon State Library will be closed on Friday, May 24, 2013. We apologize for any inconvenience. This will be our last state furlough day for this biennium.

Return to top of page
Contacts

Oregon State Library

Library Development: 503-378-2525, Ferol Weyand<mailto:FerolWeyand at oslmail.osl.state.or.us>, Darci Hanning<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>, Ann Reed <mailto:ann.reed at state.or.us> , Jennifer Maurer<mailto:jennifer.maurer at state.or.us>, Katie Anderson<mailto:katie.anderson at state.or.us>, Arlene Weible<mailto:arlene.weible at state.or.us>, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.

Talking Book and Braille Services: 503-378-5435, Susan Westin<mailto:susan.b.westin at state.or.us>.
[OSL Logo]

Government Research Services Manager: 503-378-5030, Margie Harrison<mailto:margie.harrison at state.or.us>.

State Librarian: 503-378-4367, MaryKay Dahlgreen<mailto:marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us>.

LTLO Editor: 503-378-2464, Jessica Rondema<mailto:jessica.rondema at state.or.us>.

Letter to Libraries Online is published monthly by the Oregon State Library. It is available free of charge and is published only in electronic form on the publications page on the Oregon State Library's homepage: http://www.oregon.gov/OSL.

To unsubscribe from libs-or, either send an 'unsubscribe' message to libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:libs-or-request at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>, or visit the website: http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/.<http://listsmart.osl.state.or.us/mailman/listinfo/libs-or/> All materials may be reprinted or distributed freely.

Return to top of page