[Libs-Or] Reminder: Another ACRL Lunch & Learn, May 22!

Hussong-Christian, Uta Uta.Hussong-Christian at oregonstate.edu
Thu May 16 16:37:12 PDT 2013

With all the attention MOOCs are getting, it's time for academic librarians to take a look at how we fit into that "big" picture. Join  ACRL-OR for a free webinar event on Wednesday, May 22 from 11:00am - 12:30pm at the Aubrey R. Watzek Library on the campus of Lewis & Clark.  John D. Shank will present "Goodbye Cybrarians, Hello Moocbrarians: Envisioning the Role of Librarians in Massive Online Open Courses" (see Description & Learning Outcomes below).
Please RSVP to Uta.Hussong-Christian at oregonstate.edu<mailto:Uta.Hussong-Christian at oregonstate.edu>

This event will be in-person only, so bring a bag lunch and spend some time networking with your ACRL-OR colleagues.
We'll meet you in the:
Watzek Library Classroom 245
Lewis & Clark

0615 S.W. Palatine Hill Road

Portland Oregon 97219 USA

Parking (free!) and Directions: http://www.lclark.edu/visit/directions/maps/ (the library is Building 26 on the campus map)
Description
Technology is enabling Higher Education to change more in the next ten years than it has in the past hundred. Massive Open Online Courses (MOOCs) are potentially one such technological innovation and have generated a lot of press in the past year. This live, interactive webcast will focus on the role of the librarian in these online courses. First, we will examine what librarians are currently doing to provide support for these institutional course offerings. Next, we will discuss possible future roles that librarians can play as MOOCs move from the margins to the mainstream.
Learning Outcomes:

  *   Learn about current library efforts to support MOOCs (e.g. copyright and licensing).
  *   Learn about new strategic challenges that MOOCs present for libraries (e.g. scale and remote services for diverse course demographics).
  *   Learn about new strategic opportunities that MOOCs present for libraries (e.g. information literacy instruction and Open Educational Resources (OERs).