[Libs-Or] Performance Opportunity for Library Workers in Portland With PICA

Nicholas Raethke nicholas.raethke at gmail.com
Sun May 26 12:48:11 PDT 2013

On June 8th and 9th at BodyVox Dance Center, PICA will be presenting a
dance piece by choreographer Emily Johnson and her company, Catalyst.
We are reaching out to you because Emily's work involves community
participants in each city to which it tours, and we would like to ask you
to be a part of one of the community groups. Please feel free to forward
this far and wide...
Emily Johnson's piece is called Niicugni -- Niicugni is the Yup'ik (Alaska
Native) word for 'pay attention'. The dance centers around the concept of
paying attention to life around you -- the land, nature, animals, people;
it highlights the way that all of those things interact, and occupy the
same space at the same time, whether we're aware of it or not.
The dance is a dance of layers.  There is a layer of the two "main"
dancers, Emily and Aretha Aoki, then there is a layer of sound and lighting
collaborators who also perform; and then there is a layer of community
members from whatever city the piece touring to.  All three layers stacked
on top of each other, interacting and occupying the same stage space.
The community group’s role is small but important -- the company works with
groups of people who share a common interest.  In the past the company has
worked with Roller Derby girls, writers, painters, flute players, care
givers, a water polo team, etc.  Interspersed throughout the piece, each
group enters the stage, performs a gesture that comes from their common
interest, and then exits -- it takes 30 seconds to a minute tops, but
ultimately really changes the landscape of the piece.
This would be the time commitment:
-One rehearsal to find your group’s gesture: at some point on either 6/4 or
6/5
-Dress Rehearsal: June 7th, 6-9:30pm
-Shows: 6/8, Call at 7:15 (show at 8:00), 6/9, Call at 5:30pm (show at 6pm)

We can provide free tickets for their friends to Emily's shows (just need
to be reserved in advance), invitations to a salmon dinner with Emily that
Monday night after the symposium, comps to all ticketed symposium events,
and two drink tickets for the symposium opening night dinner that Friday
the 7th.

Please contact the Community Engagement Manager, Roya Amirsoleymani at
roya at pica.org