[Libs-Or] Who opposes reading for the blind, and why they might win

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Fri May 31 11:10:50 PDT 2013

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/05/who-opposes-reading-for-the-blind-and-why-they-might-win/

Who opposes reading for the blind, and why they might win
Posted on May 30, 2013 by Jacob Roberts |

*The background: *ALA has been working with associations like the National
Federation of the Blind <https://nfb.org/> and the World Blind
Union<http://www.worldblindunion.org/English/Pages/default.aspx>to
pass the
Treaty <http://www.wipo.int/meetings/en/doc_details.jsp?doc_id=236002> of
Limitations and Exceptions for Visually Impaired Persons at the World
Intellectual Property Organization
(WIPO<http://www.wipo.int/portal/index.html.en>)
since 2008.  We have met frequently with rights holders and their
lobbyists. Both sides have made concessions along the way by negotiating
with the US delegation who once was a leading supporter of the treaty. The
Obama Administration has supported access to information for all. President
Obama said "reading is the foundation of all learning"--a sound bite
frequently used in his remarks at various functions across the country. *All
that has changed* because some of the biggest corporations oppose the
treaty and want it scrapped.

*The problem: *You may ask yourself, why is Exxon opposed to increasing
access to reading materials for the blind? Who opposes the blind? Who
opposes reading? The Intellectual Property Owners
Association<http://www.ipo.org/>(IPO), of which Exxon is a member,
presumes that one small exception to
copyright will cause their entire house of intellectual property cards to
fall. You can read the
letter<http://keionline.org/sites/default/files/2013.4.15IPO_Letter_WIPO_VIP_Treaty.pdf>(pdf)
yourself but here's the relevant nugget:

IPO supports international action that addresses the needs of the visually
impaired in meaningful ways, but we are concerned about the VIP treaty as
currently drafted, focused exclusively on L/Es  [limitations and
exceptions]and not on the rights holders whose copyrights are at stake. We
are also concerned about the potentially negative, precedential effect that
a one -sided, exceptions focused VIP treaty may have on parallel
developments at WIPO and in other international negotiations.

Let's fight this ridiculous notion by
signing<https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/side-blind-over-obstructionist-companies-secure-treaty-blind-makes-books-accessible-globally/ZJtgcVph>the
"We the People" petition ASAP. Final meetings regarding the future of
the treaty start on June 17th. Hurry.

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/05/who-opposes-reading-for-the-blind-and-why-they-might-win/

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou