[Libs-Or] Free webinar: The Fiscal Situation in Washington and How it Gives Librarians a Huge Advantage

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 5 17:58:08 PST 2013

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/11/free-webinar-fiscal-situation-washington-gives-librarians-huge-advantage/

Free webinar: The Fiscal Situation in Washington and How it Gives
Librarians a Huge Advantage
Posted on November 5, 2013 by TWegner

According to a recent poll, Congress is less popular than cockroaches these
days, which has many on the Federal advocacy front lines discouraged. But
don't despair! As the debate moves to the state and local level, the
library community has a huge advantage. This
webinar<https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/204813906>will show you
how to use that advantage to avoid setbacks and perhaps even
make great strides forward.

We'll look at the current fiscal and political situation in Washington and
why that increases our influence at the local level. We'll also provide
insights into advocacy resources we're developing in response to a recent
ALA Washington office
survey<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/09/washington-office-seeking-your-input-on-library-advocacy/>.
Through this survey we asked the question "how we can we help you be more
effective advocates?"--and over 1,000 of you answered!

As part of the webinar
<https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/204813906>we'll answer some of
the top questions that came out of the research,
including:

   - What are the legal limits to lobbying?
   - Where can I find resources for getting my friends / trustees / parents
   / teachers / students engaged?
   - How can I best advocate with local decision-makers?
   - How can I get the support of my administration / school board?
   - How do I get others (and/or myself) motivated to act?

We'll also gather your feedback on whether we're on the right track with
the new materials we're developing as well as what we need to add more
value to your ALA membership.

Wondering what's happening (or not) in Washington, D.C.? Concerned about
how the federal fiscal situation might impact on the ground services? Want
to know what you can do to make a difference? Join
us<https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/204813906>to learn the
answers to those questions--and more.

*Date: *Wednesday, November 13, 2013

*Time: *4:00 PM - 5:00 PM EST

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/11/free-webinar-fiscal-situation-washington-gives-librarians-huge-advantage/

--
*Diedre Conkling*

*Lincoln County Library DistrictP.O. Box 2027Newport, OR 97365Phone & Fax:
541-265-3066Work email**:
**diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org*<diedre at lincolncolibrarydist.org>
*Home email: **diedre08 at gmail.com* <diedre08 at gmail.com>

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou