[Libs-Or] School Library Staffing: One thing OLA should do.

Candice Watkins CWatkins at clatsopcc.edu
Mon Nov 25 14:18:30 PST 2013

Thanks, Dawn, for sharing that information. I, too, have been encouraged by this discussion and wanted to share some of my thoughts. I've been intensely interested in the plight of school librarians for a while now. The more I work with school librarians, the more I'm impressed with the work that they do and the challenges that they face, and the more I see how important that K-20 collaboration truly is.

For the current year I'm the chair of ILAGO, or Information Literacy Advisory Group of Oregon. For much of our existence, ILAGO has focused mainly on Information Literacy and writing in higher education, but in the past 2-3 years we've started to expand our focus to include, or begin to include, more of a K-20 focus with a strong interest in the K-12 environment.

Just a month ago, we held our fall meeting with a nice showing of public, academic, and school librarians. Much of our discussion centered on the issue of school librarians and possible approaches to help with the situation. Just as Dawn mentions in her email, ILAGO's conversation similarly touched on the need to approach audiences that haven't been consistently approached before - like PTA organizations, school administrator programs, and other groups that have vested interest outside of (or in addition to) school boards.

The research that supports the importance of school librarians is already there; the OASL standards have already been created and crossed with the Common Core (https://sites.google.com/site/oregonschoollibrarystandards/) - good, solid work has been completed here over the years. Now, we need to communicate (market?) that message in new ways to new groups.

I think that there's already much going on out there in this direction - I see increased interest and activity at academic and public libraries in working with the schools in their respective districts. All of these efforts and ideas, though, need to be brought together, not just with vision but with many interested and active hands in a sustainable effort.

ILAGO is actively pursuing these avenues and we would love to have your help. So, if you're interested in helping, please contact me. The more hands and minds, the better!

Thanks!

Candice Watkins
Library Director
Clatsop Community College