[Libs-Or] Project Information Literacy Director to speak at Lewis & Clark

Elaine Hirsch elaineghirsch at lclark.edu
Mon Sep 9 09:18:09 PDT 2013

This is a reminder that the 2013 Johannah Sherrer Memorial Lecture in
Library Service will take place on Friday, September 20 at 3pm in Smith
Hall on the campus of Lewis & Clark College.  A reception will follow the
lecture.

*Alison J. Head,* Executive Director of Project Information
Literacy<http://projectinfolit.org/>will present
* "What Librarians and Faculty Should Know about Today's Students and their
Research Practices."*
"How do today's students find information and conduct research for
coursework and use in their everyday lives? Discover what we have learned
at Project Information Literacy (PIL), an ongoing research study that has
surveyed and interviewed more than 13,000 college students at over 50 US
colleges and universities since 2008. Our findings indicate a large
majority of students still attend college to learn, but many are lost in a
thicket of information overload. Nearly all students intentionally use a
small compass for navigating the ever-widening and complex information
landscape they inhabit. They struggle with managing the IT devices that
permeate their lives and endlessly distract them. Most students turn to
professors, friends, family members - or no one at all - for help with
research, rather than asking librarians. What's a librarian to do? Key
takeaways are presented from the PIL studies, including a discussion of
their implications for teaching, learning, work, and librarianship in the
21st century." For further information, please see
http://library.lclark.edu/lib/sherrer.htm or contact Elaine Hirsch at
Watzek Library.  We hope you can join us.

Sincerely,
Elaine Hirsch
Associate Director
Aubrey R. Watzek Library