[Libs-Or] new titles available through ILL from the Oregon State Library

Ann Reed ann.reed at state.or.us
Thu Sep 12 11:39:42 PDT 2013

The following new titles are available for interlibrary loan from the Oregon State Library. If you would like to request these or other materials from the Oregon State Library please use your library's established interlibrary loan process or send your full name, the name of your library, complete title information, shipping address, and a phone number to the document delivery department at library.request at state.or.us or (fax) 503-588-7119. Items will be checked out to your library, not to you personally, for 4 weeks (print materials) or 2 weeks (videos). Materials will be delivered via mail or Orbis Cascade Alliance Courier, and you may return them the same way. Normally a single copy is purchased and is loaned on a first-come-first-serve basis. You may be put on a hold list for several weeks. Thank you for your patience.

[book1.jpg]  Williams, Sherill K. and Kathleen A. McGinnis.  Building the Governance Partnership: The Chief Executive's Guide to Getting the Best From the Board. 2nd ed.  Washington, D.C.: BoardSource, 2011.  658.422 Willi   ISBN 978-1586861247

In a constructive partnership with the board, the chief executive works hard to provide leadership that engages the board in exceptional governance - work that requires a lot of time and energy.

Building the Governance Partnership: The Chief Executive's Guide to Getting the Best from the Board, Second Edition, offers practical tips and perspectives to help you manage this considerable investment of time and build a partnership with the board that is based on support, trust, honesty, forthrightness, respect, and understanding. Within its pages, you'll learn how to work for, work with, and work the board. And while it is time-consuming work, the rewards - the success of both you and your organization - are worth the effort.

[book2.jpg]Lakey, Berit M. PhD.  Board Fundamentals: Understanding Roles in Nonprofit Governance. 2nd ed. Washington, D.C.: BoardSource, 2010.  658.422 LakeyB    ISBN: 978-1586861209

What is governance? What is the role of the board? What is expected of board members? And how does an effective board operate? Board Fundamentals answers these questions and more. The book is for new board members in need of an introduction to the principles of nonprofit governance experienced board members in need of a refresher and new ideas chief executives -- as well as senior staff who interact with the board -- who want to better understand their and the board's roles and responsibilities ...and is the perfect vehicle for opening a conversation between the board and the chief executive about their respective roles in organizational governance. Within its pages, you will find a description of the nonprofit sector, a discussion of the concept of governance (something that seems murky to many people new to this type of service), an in-depth look at the key governance roles and responsibilities of the board and the individuals involved in organizational governance, and suggestions on how the board can most effectively carry out its responsibilities. At the end of each chapter, there is a set of questions designed to engage your board in an exploration of its practices. Boards that raise these questions in their board meetings are sometimes surprised by the answers and should use the opportunity to discuss how they can improve their governance.

[book3.jpg]  Glushko, Robert J. ed.  The Discipline of Organizing.  Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2013.  025 Disci   ISBN: 978-0262518505

Organizing is such a common activity that we often do it without thinking much about it. In our daily lives we organize physical things--books on shelves, cutlery in kitchen drawers--and digital things--Web pages, MP3 files, scientific datasets. Millions of people create and browse Web sites, blog, tag, tweet, and upload and download content of all media types without thinking "I'm organizing now" or "I'm retrieving now."

This book offers a framework for the theory and practice of organizing that integrates information organization (IO) and information retrieval (IR), bridging the disciplinary chasms between Library and Information Science and Computer Science, each of which views and teaches IO and IR as separate topics and in substantially different ways. It introduces the unifying concept of an Organizing System--an intentionally arranged collection of resources and the interactions they support--and then explains the key concepts and challenges in the design and deployment of Organizing Systems in many domains, including libraries, museums, business information systems, personal information management, and social computing. Intended for classroom use or as a professional reference, the book covers the activities common to all organizing systems: identifying resources to be organized; organizing resources by describing and classifying them; designing resource-based interactions; and maintaining resources and organization over time. The book is extensively annotated with disciplinary-specific notes to ground it with relevant concepts and references of library science, computing, cognitive science, law, and business.

Be sure to check out our Library and Information Science (LIS) blog (http://osl-lis.blogspot.com/) to discover the most recent additions to our LIS collection and search our catalog (http://oregon.gov/OSL/index.shtml) for our complete holdings. The library science collection is meant to support the whole Oregon library community. The Library Development Division welcomes your suggestions for acquisitions - see the blog for an input form or email us!

This collection is supported in whole by the Institute of Museum and Library Services through the Library Services and Technology Act, administered by the Oregon State Library.

Ann Reed, Federal Programs Coordinator
Oregon State Library
Library Development Services
250 Winter St.