[Libs-Or] OCI Yearbook Project

Darci Hanning darci.hanning at state.or.us
Thu Sep 12 17:35:45 PDT 2013

Hi everyone,

Here's a little bit information that Arlene and I have managed to gather:

Danielle Plumer (consultant for the Oregon Digital Collections Plan) had this to say:

I know of a few institutions in Texas who have worked with them. Karen Ellis, director of the Taylor Public Library here in my neck of the woods, talked about working with them at a session at the Texas Library Association conference last spring, and she had nothing but good things to say. Her email is karen.ellis at taylortx.gov<mailto:karen.ellis at taylortx.gov>.

There was a bit of a discussion on one of the email lists recently about them; my memory is that a number of people seemed to think that the approach taken by OCI is somehow disreputable (because they use prisoners?), but I apparently deleted the messages.

For myself, I have concerns about copyright in yearbooks because the schools (at least in Texas) don't seem to collect, or keep if they do collect, copyright permissions from the photographers [or companies -Darci] who supply photos for senior pictures. For people like Karen, it's not an issue because she doesn't share the digital copy outside the library, but for people wanting to make the yearbooks public it's a bit of a risk. However, to my knowledge no library has ever been sued.

>From Pattie Mayfield, Bertha Voyer Memorial Library, Honey Grove, TX (mayfield at honeygrove.org<mailto:mayfield at honeygrove.org>) by way of the Association of Rural and Small Libraries (with permission):

We received the email several months ago and since digitizing some of our older, historic properties had been something we've wanted to do for years - we jumped on the offer!

We mailed them all the year books from our high school - from 1912 to 2012 - at their cost for shipping.  They had the books for about a month and then we received the books back.  We also received discs with the scans of EVERY page of the yearbooks as well as the covers.  They aren't quite professionally done - but they are better than what we had or what we would have done in house.  We then started sending yearbooks that we collected from other areas near us where the school districts are no longer in existence.   We gathered these from individuals - so it was a little more work on our part - but we now have those done and they were not available to anyone other than those who still had their books.  We are in the process of putting the scans on our Historical Society web page - http://honeygrovepreservation.org/education.html.  Not perfect - but better than not having them.  And it cost us absolutely nothing!

We too thought it sounded too good to be true.  It is our understanding that OCI received a grant for this and that they will do the project until the money runs out.  It is a way to give the inmates another opportunity to learn something and to give back while they are incarcerated.   We thought there would be some "hidden" cost or that our books might get lost.  But it has worked out well and we are so glad we did it.

[Feel free to contact Pattie if you have additional questions]

In addition to the copyright issues mentioned above, there was also some concern expressed about who "owned" the rights to the scans as it may be that OCI keeps copies of everything they scan and could possibly sell them at some point in the future so you may want to see if you can get a more definitive answer directly from OCI.

I have a query out to two other folks who have used OCI and will pass those along if I hear back anytime soon.

Cheers,
Darci
Darci Hanning * Technology Development Consultant * Library Development Services
Oregon State Library, 250 Winter St. NE, Salem, OR  97301
503-378-2527 darci.hanning at state.or.us<mailto:darci.hanning at state.or.us>