[Libs-Or] Streaming News into the library

Mann, Caroline mann at up.edu
Fri Sep 20 14:42:47 PDT 2013

As part of a remodeling project, we had 3 monitors installed in our lobby with the intent to provide streaming news options.

In the ideal we hoped to provide news from a different perspective - e.g. BBC, Al Jazeera, etc.
Since we don't want sound, a crawl or CC is required.

We all thought this would be an easy thing & that surely a subscription service was out there to accommodate this need but so far, we've come up empty handed.

Currently we don't have cable though we did explore the option of logging into a campus Comcast.net account and accessing the news channels via their "live TV" option. Sadly we discovered only one news options (CNN).

We did discover one subscription service that included European and South African news channels (Livestation) but they haven't yet offered a crawl or captioning as an option.

Is anyone else streaming news channels in the library who can offer us some tips on how they handled the setup?

Thanks for any info you can send our way---

Caroline Mann                                                        Phone: 503-943-7420
Head, Public Services                                           Fax: 503-943-7491
Clark Library                                                             mann at up.edu
University of Portland
5000 N. Willamette Blvd
Portland OR  97203