[Libs-Or] E-rate cookies and the future of library broadband

Diedre Conkling diedre08 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 26 12:23:42 PDT 2013

I am posting this just because I like it.

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/09/e-rate-cookies-future-library-broadband/

E-rate cookies and the future of library broadband
Posted on September 26, 2013 by Marijke Visser

So for those E-rate junkies, ALA's big accomplishment last week was
submitting its comments<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/09/connecting-learners-high-speed-internet/>to
the FCC on the current
E-rate <http://www.districtdispatch.org/category/e-rate/> proceeding that,
I'm sure you know by now, scrutinizes virtually every major (and a number
of not so major) aspects of the E-rate program. This proceeding is a
significant opportunity to take a hard look at this program through a
21stcentury lens--acknowledging the firm foundation the program has
provided for
libraries, and more importantly creating a vision for the program that
moves library connectivity beyond basic and toward the broadband required
for today, and the next 15 years.

At my house when you accomplish something big, we make cookies. Then we sit
around and talk about how great it is to be done, how hard it was to get
done, how terrible it was to get from point A to point B, how plans changed
and you had to start almost from the beginning, how you couldn't hang out
with friends because you had to work on this crazy project...and wow! I can't
believe it's finally finished!

This is what I thought about after hitting the submit button on September
16 and on my way home. And it's what I thought about while mixing a batch
of celebratory cookies. Here goes:
NPRM Cookies

In this proceeding we hope to accomplish three specific things. First, our
comments<http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/09/connecting-learners-high-speed-internet/>focus
on securing high-capacity broadband for libraries (nothing new
really). Next they address issues that could encourage applicants to be
cost effective and future thinking as they develop their broadband
solutions (somewhat new). We also propose jumpstarting the program by
investing immediately to support broadband build-out, especially for the
libraries with the lowest levels of connectivity and to permanently
increase the funding cap so that these investments can be sustained (new,
and a bold but desperately needed step).

What I needed to complete on the evening of the 16th was a batch of cookies
worthy of all the E-rate and universal service lectures I subjected my
family to for the past two months. And yes, they know what "direct payment
to the applicant" is and what it means to be "a remote rural library." They
also know why they can use their mobile devices at school and why the
school Wi-Fi is slow in certain parts of the building.

   - 1/2 pound butter, softened
   - 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
   - 2 eggs
   - 1 tsp vanilla

Instructions: Start with a traditional, firm foundation on which to build
something new, but something that will be successful and meet the needs of
your constituents (libraries or demanding children, either one). The basic
structure of the E-rate program has been successful over the years. The
program, however, has become somewhat unwieldy and overly complex and it is
important to balance program rules and oversight with the application
process so that USAC, the program administrator, can ensure the funds are
used appropriately and program applicants can apply for and receive funding
for the telecommunications services they need. As with any program, there
is usually room for improvement, based on years of experience on the ground
throughout the E-rate application cycle.

   - 1 1/2 cups unbleached white flour
   - 3/4 cup oats
   - 1/4 cup wheat germ or wheat bran
   - 1/4 cup shredded coconut
   - 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
   - 2 tsps cinnamon
   - 1 tsp baking soda
   - 1 tsp salt

This NPRM (Notice of Proposed Rulemaking and the long name for the current
proceeding) looks at the current structure of the program to identify areas
that, if tweaked according to our recommendations, could yield a more
efficient program while making the applicant experience better. Some of the
changes we propose will result in an E-rate program that focuses finite
resources on the most critical infrastructure needs for libraries. We do,
however, caution the FCC to implement changes with minimal disruption or
burden for the applicant.

*Add *(Here you can be creative but remember you should aim for about 1 1/2
cups of yummy things to add)*:*

   - 1/2 cup nuts of your choice (I used left over trail mix which had
   cashews, pumpkin seeds, almonds, and peanuts)
   - 1/2 cup total raisins and/or dried cranberries
   - 1/2 cup chocolate chips or broken up chocolate bars

At the same time, the NPRM invites stakeholders to be innovative at a time
when our communities, our students, and our nation has much to lose by
continuing in a 'this is what we have always done' manner and much to gain
by focusing the E-rate program on advancing sustainable investments in
broadband. We have been asked to think about how to structure a
telecommunications program that incents libraries (and schools) to think
big, to plan for technology needs that support the types of learning and
applications that we did not think about 15 years ago and that we have not
yet envisioned for the next 15. Some of the proposals ALA put forward are
far-reaching and will require careful planning for successful
implementation. *We believe the strength of the E-rate program lies in its
original purpose of connecting libraries and schools to advanced
telecommunications services, but that to move beyond basic connectivity,
the program should align with services and models that promote
high-capacity solutions. *

   - Use a large spoon to drop cookies onto greased baking sheet. Bake in a
   preheated oven at 375 for 9-10 minutes, careful not to over bake.

Between now and October 16 when reply comments are due, we will read
submitted comments, refine some of our initial thoughts, gather additional
information and data, and collaborate with our library stakeholders. For
those of you interested in learning more, consider taking advantage two
upcoming events. On October 1 the Schools, Health & Libraries Broadband
Coalition (SHLB) will hold a seminar <http://www.shlb.org/events> on the
E-rate proceeding, in-person or webcast. On October 7, the National
Telecommunications &Information Administration (NTIA) holds a
workshop<http://www.ntia.doc.gov/other-publication/2013/connected-workshop-sign-up>on
ConnectED. This reply period is not the end of the proceeding and our
work will continue until the FCC issues an order (and when might that be,
you ask). Have a cookie and stay tuned.

http://www.districtdispatch.org/2013/09/e-rate-cookies-future-library-broadband/

--
*Diedre Conkling**
Lincoln County Library District

 "If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change
your attitude."--Maya Angelou