[Libs-Or] Congratulations! Governor's Volunteer Award Winner, Josephine Community Libraries

MaryKay Dahlgreen marykay.dahlgreen at state.or.us
Tue Apr 1 11:44:21 PDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,
As I expected, there have been concerns expressed to me about celebrating this volunteer library.

My perspective on this is that the citizens of Josephine County didn't want to wait a great  length of time without library service, especially for their children. They are very up front about the fact that their current situation is unsustainable and are even now collecting signatures to put a library district on the ballot in November 2014. I like to think of the creation of the non-profit Josephine Community Libraries, Inc. as an emergency response and they have been building towards sustainability ever since.

I would also guess that the none of the public libraries in Oregon would be able to function at their current level without volunteers, I know that OSL couldn't.

And finally, the political and financial situation in Josephine County is quite different than in other areas of Oregon, particularly the Willamette Valley.

I think this is an important topic of discussion and would welcome other comments.

MaryKay