[Libs-Or] 2014 OLA Conference Tips!
bvss at pdx.edu
Fri Apr 11 12:54:21 PDT 2014
The following tips will help you to have the best conference experience
1. Parking. The Salem Convention Center & Grand Hotel has complimentary
underground parking, and the Pringle Parkade has complimentary parking for
the Salem Convention Center on the roof top. Refer to this map for other
public parking options.
You may also consider carpooling. Libs-Or and SSD are both good places to
look for someone to carpool with.
2. Dress in layers. It is important to be comfortable so be prepared for
meeting rooms that may be either too hot or too cold.
3. Wear comfortable shoes! This almost goes without saying, but the
conference center is on two levels and the lobby floors are not carpeted.
4. Please remember to bring a tote bag, briefcase, or bookbag in which you
can carry your conference program and any other materials you may pick up
from the vendors.
5. Visit the vendor booths and thank the exhibitors for coming to the
conference. Give special thanks to all of our sponsors (a list is in the
6. Twitter. Let your colleagues know what's happening at the conference
with the OLA Twitter feed - https://twitter.com/OLAinsideout. The
conference account is @OLAinsideout and the hashtag is #ORLib14.
7. Coffee and pastries will be available for purchase at the east end of
the Gallery between 7:00 and 9:00 am.
8. OYAN raffle tickets. Be sure to support the Oregon Young Adult Network
(OYAN) by buying raffle tickets. Prizes you can win include a two-night
stay at the Sylvia Beach Hotel; tickets for Portland Center Stage, Portland
Opera, Literary Arts, and the Oregon Shakespeare Festival; admission to the
High Desert Museum, OMSI, and the Lan Su Chinese Garden; and fun themed
baskets and packs including a Dr. Who Fan's Dream, Harry Potter Magic Pack,
Downton Abbey Basket, Herbalist Basket, Romance Pack, and Reader Pack. You
can purchase the tickets online until 5 pm Tuesday, April 15 at
http://tinyurl.com/mfal5h2 or from an OYAN member at the conference.
Tickets are just $5 each or 5 for $20.
9. BINGO! Be sure to pick up your OLA People BINGO card from the
registration desk. Hunt down someone who practices Yoga or someone who has
taken or is taking a MOOC! Meet interesting people, gather signatures (or
initials) to make at least one BINGO (horizontal, vertical, or diagonal)
and drop off your complete BINGO card at the registration desk. A drawing
will be held on Friday at 4 pm. The Grand prize winner will receive a
one-year personal membership to OLA and four others will receive a $50
Powell's Books gift card.
10. Be sure to fill out the evaluation letting us know what you think of
the conference. This information is very useful in planning future
conferences. The link is http://tinyurl.com/OLA2014conf-eval.
11. OLA President's Banquet. If you haven't purchased a ticket to the
President's Banquet, but would like to hear Josh Hanagarne "The World's
Strongest Librarian", speaker only tickets will be available at the door
for $15. His talk will begin at approximately 7:30 pm. Please have exact
change or a check made out to OLA.
12. Consider becoming more involved with OLA by volunteering to be on a
committee. Attend "The Inside Out Organization" that is scheduled on
Thursday, April 17 at 4:00 - 5:30 pm. You can also attend one of the
committee meetings that are scheduled on Thursday, April 17 at 5:30 - 6:00
pm to learn more. The meeting locations are available in the program. For
more information on the committees, visit http://www.olaweb.org/committees."
And above all, have fun! Ask questions of the volunteers who will be
roaming the hallways or of the volunteers at the registration desk.
Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Representative
Portland State University Library
PO Box 1151
Portland, OR 97207-1151
email: sagers at pdx.edu
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Libs-Or