[Libs-Or] Advisory Board Orientation materials

Leah Griffith leah.griffith at newbergoregon.gov
Sat Jan 4 11:47:30 PST 2014

I'm looking to update and revise my advisory board orientation materials.   I found a great document that Texas State Library (https://www.tsl.texas.gov/sites/default/files/public/tslac/ld/pubs/plant/State_of_Texas_Board_%20Handbook_Final.pdf)  had done and I was wondering also if either PLD or the Oregon State Library were looking at revising the old version for Oregon, especially in light of the proposed standards for public libraries that we're reviewing now.   I will admit, that made me look at my current orientation materials a little closer and decided that they needed some updating.

One thing I really  like about the Texas handbook is the discussion of what a 21st century library is which gives new board members some great language and advocacy tools as they come aboard, perhaps only having joined the board because they check out a lot of books.  I know that now when I do my orientation, new members are many times surprised at what we do and what libraries in general do today.

Anyway, if anyone would like to share their board orientation materials, I would love to see them.   Thanks

Leah