[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] Join the Conversation at ALA Midwinter

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Fri Jan 10 07:13:32 PST 2014

FYI

Suzanne L. Sager

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
Date: Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 2:45 PM
Subject: [alacro-l] Join the Conversation at ALA Midwinter
To: alacro-l at ala.org

Please share widely

The invitation from ALA President Barbara Stripling to participate in the
2014 ALA Midwinter Kitchen Table Conversation is pasted in below:

*TO:                         ALA members and 2014 ALA Midwinter Meeting
attendees*

*FROM:                  Barbara Stripling, ALA President*

*RE:                          ALA Midwinter Meeting:  Conversations with
members of the ALA Community*

*DATE:                    2 December 2013*

*At this year’s ALA Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia, we are continuing
the kitchen-table type conversations with ALA members and attendees about
their aspirations for ALA as their professional community.  These
conversations are a step in the process of making ALA an innovation space
where members and staff can collaborate and create together.*

*These 1 ½ hour conversations will take place Saturday-Monday at the 2014
ALA Midwinter Meeting in Philadelphia, at the Philadelphia Convention
Center, Room 305 (PCC-305). We are planning four conversations/day, each
with 16 participants.  They will begin on Saturday, January 25, and run
through Monday, January 27:  8:30-10:00am, 10:30-noon, 1:00-2:30pm,
3:00-4:30pm. To ensure your seat, please register in advance registration
by contacting Mary Ghikas at ALA (mghikas at ala.org <mghikas at ala.org> ) – and
providing a 1st and 2nd choice of day/time. We will fill spaces on a
first-come basis. *

*ALA members experienced in facilitating conversations will facilitate and
record the conversations. Following the Midwinter Meeting, we will post
notes to the community in ALA Connect (http://connect.ala.org/node/210217
<http://connect.ala.org/node/210217> ) – and as we hold future
conversations, we will continue to build a rich base of public knowledge
about the aspirations and concerns of our community.  We will be continuing
these conversations at the 2014 Annual Conference.*

*Feedback from the Kitchen Table Conversations held at the 2013 ALA Annual
Conference has been shared with the ALA Executive Board and with Division
leaders.  As the Board considers future directions for ALA in a time of
significant change, your voice is very important. I urge you to participate
so we can hear your voice as we consider the best ways for ALA to work with
and on behalf of members now and in the future.   I thank you for your
membership, your attendance and your interest in building our professional
community together.*

Here is the link to the site in ALA Connect.  The summary statement and the
consolidated and categorized notes from the Kitchen Table Conversation at
the 2013 ALA Annual Conference are posted at this location, along with the
invitation to the Midwinter Conversation.

http://connect.ala.org/node/210217

Based on what people said in Chicago in June, as well as feedback from
several years of post-conference surveys, we will spend a significant
portion of our time at the Kitchen Table Conversation during Midwinter
focusing on aspirations for and concerns about the ALA Annual Conference.
The specific focus will shift again at Annual Conference, as the ALA
Executive Board, other member groups and staff consider options for the
future.

People who would like to reserve a seat at one of the conversations should
email me directly, mghikas at ala.org

Mary W. Ghikas

Senior Associate Executive Director, ALA

312-280-2518

mghikas at ala.org

=================================

Nancy Kranich

Special Projects Librarian

Rutgers University Libraries

228 Alexander Library

New Brunswick, NJ  08901

Lecturer

Rutgers University School of Communication and Information

Past President, American Library Association

Civic Librarian

Contact Information:

136 N. 7th Avenue

Highland Park, NJ  08904-2932