[Libs-Or] Oregon Poet Laureate Peter Sears

Katie Anderson katie.anderson at state.or.us
Fri Jul 18 09:08:04 PDT 2014

Posted on behalf of Jim Sheppke, please reply directly to him if you have any questions or need more information at jscheppke at comcast.net<mailto:jscheppke at comcast.net>
Dear Colleagues:
One of my many retirement activities is helping my good friend Peter Sears with his Oregon Poet Laureate duties. We are collaborating on his Poet Laureate Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/PeterSearsPoetLaureate

I would be pleased if you would like the page and encourage others to do so. Peter has been posting some really great poems that I'm sure you will enjoy. If there is a way you can promote Peter's page to the public (e.g., a newsletter or web site) that would be wonderful. Peter's Facebook page is a way he is attempting to extend the reach of the Oregon Poet Laureate. We are trying to get to 1,000 likes before the end of his term.

Also, I want to call your attention to Peter's official Oregon Poet Laureate website:

http://oregonpoetlaureate.org/

Two things of particular interest are the "calendar" page that includes a web form for you to request an appearance at your library. Peter intends to carry on the great tradition begun by his predecessors Lawson Inada and Paulann Petersen and make appearances in libraries of all types, large and small, throughout the state. Please use the form to make an appearance request. Peter will try to honor as many requests as possible during his two year term as Oregon Poet Laureate.

The other thing you will want to look at on the website is the "Expanding Voices" page. This is Peter's special project to feature poets from other cultures to read with him at his appearances. He would love you to think about how he could team up with one or more people in your town who write poetry in another language to share the podium with him.

Finally, I hope you know about Peter's new book, Small Talk: New and Selected Poems, that certainly belongs on the shelf of every Oregon library:

http://lynxhousepress.org/?s=Peter+Sears&x=0&y=0

Please let me know if you have any questions about Peter's plans for his term as Oregon Poet Laureate.

Best,

Jim Scheppke
jscheppke at comcast.net<mailto:jscheppke at comcast.net>