[Libs-Or] Diversity and Social Justice in Libraries - where next?

Rick Samuelson ricks at wccls.org
Wed Jun 11 13:06:05 PDT 2014

Hi gang,

Perhaps we could have a Diversity Program Track at next year’s OLA Conference?

I’m sure each division/committee/round table/task force would have something unique to bring to the table.  I know I’m personally interested in learning more about the culture/gender socialization process that takes place in early childhood.  I’m sure our public library storytimes (for one) could benefit greatly from a more informed look into how young children form their culture/gender stereotypes.  Also, in case you haven’t seen it… there is a giant movement under way to nudge the children’s publishing world into depicting more cultural diversity: http://weneeddiversebooks.tumblr.com/

Great discussion.. and a huge thanks to Max for lighting the fire.

Best wishes,

Rick Samuelson, Youth Services Librarian
Washington County Cooperative Library Services
(503) 648-9785 x5#