[Libs-Or] FW: [calix] Unique DVD Theft Issue

Ruth Metz ruthmetz at spiretech.com
Wed Mar 5 17:22:49 PST 2014

Interesting development...

From: calix-request at lists.gseis.ucla.edu
[mailto:calix-request at lists.gseis.ucla.edu] On Behalf Of Vance, Carey
Sent: Wednesday, March 05, 2014 5:22 PM
To: calix at lists.gseis.ucla.edu
Subject: [calix] Unique DVD Theft Issue

Hello Library Community,

Here at the Burbank Public Library, over the course of two days, we have
found empty DVD security cases on the shelves with notes inside stating that
the theft of this library DVD was a political statement from a group calling
themselves Chaos in Amerika. We have found four empty cases so far, the
items are mixed in with the books on the shelf and have been found by our
pages as they were shelving. We have no idea when they were placed there
since we have found them in different sections throughout the library. The
cases are not damaged and appear to have been opened with a magnetic device
(the security cases we use are the ones that are opened by a magnet
unlocking the mechanism on the bottom of the case).

We would like to know if any other libraries have found similar notes from
this group or other anti-government groups and how you handled the
situation.

Thank you,

Carey Vance

Reference Services Supervisor