[Libs-Or] OSU Libraries LFA Seminar Series

Kunda, Sue Sue.Kunda at oregonstate.edu
Tue Mar 18 12:17:32 PDT 2014

OSU Libraries' Faculty Association is pleased to invite you to the April Library Faculty Association Seminar Series. Hannah Rempel, Instruction and Science Librarian, and Margaret Mellinger, Instruction and Emerging Technologies Librarian, both at OSU Libraries, will present "Bibliographic Management Tools Adoption and Use."

Summary: Some of the most popular workshops offered in the Graduate Student & Faculty Workshop Series at OSU Libraries are sessions on bibliographic management software (EndNote, Zotero and Mendeley). While those of us who teach these workshops are familiar with the software itself and often help users troubleshoot issues, we don't normally get to see how users incorporate the tool into their regular research routines or how using the software affects their research processes. We also miss out on an even more basic question - how do users choose a particular tool and what makes them stick with it? To find out more about how users incorporate these research productivity tools into their workflows, we used interviews, journal prompts, and user-recorded screen capture videos. We will discuss the results of this study, a research methodology that can be used to gain a window into researchers' workflows, and a model for understanding how users adopt productivity technologies.