[Libs-Or] Can't make it to OLA Legislative Day? Email or call your Legislators!

Emily Ford fordemily at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 13:42:03 PDT 2015

Hello Oregon Library Community!
That's right, OLA's 2015 Legislative Day is tomorrow! Can't make it to
visit Salem? Call or Email your legislators and let them know what we care
about
<https://www.oregonlegislature.gov/FindYourLegislator/leg-districts.html>.

The talking points and issue briefs posted to the Library Development and
Legislation Committee's web page
<http://www.olaweb.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=199>
are available for you to help frame your conversation.

Below are some email templates you could consider using if you'd like to
email your legislators.

TEMPLATE for State Representative

Dear Representative ________,
My name is ______ and as one of your constituents and as a member of the
Oregon Library Association and as a librarian at __________________ I am
asking for your support of libraries.

There are three bills to which we'd like to call your attention: *HB 2479,
Reading for Success; HB 2650, Summer Lunch, Learn, Libraries*; and *HB
3523, Reorganizing the State Library's Mission and Governance.*

*HB 2479: Reading for Success*
This bill:

   - Changes the names of Ready to Read to Reading for Success;
   - Expands the ages covered from 0-14 to 0-17;
   - Increases the minimum grant size to $1200 from $1000.
   - Includes funding for the increases - $140,000 for the biennium.

The current Ready to Read Grant program is proven successful, with over
200,000 children participating in Summer Reading Programs in 2014 and with
increased program attendance. In 2014, 21,000,000 items were checked out by
participating children! Last year all 131 eligible public libraries applied
for and received grants.

This year we are asking for your support to:

   - Increase funding to $1 per child. In 2014 funding was at $0.94 per
   child.

*HB 2650: Summer Lunch, Learn, Libraries*
Although I support the concept of integrating summer reading programs at
schools with summer lunch programs as introduced by this bill, it needs
more work. Summer reading helps stave off student achievement losses over
summer.
I am asking you to consider:

   - Summer school-based programs should have *certified librarians* to
   guide children in their use of school library materials; and
   - Other models exist for partnering summer reading with summer lunch
   programs.

*HB 3523: Reorganizing the State Library's Mission and Governance*

This bill incorporates some of the recommendations formulated by the
working group, convened in 2011, to describe how the State Library, State
Law Library, and State Archives could collaborate more effectively.

I support the bill as amended. The bill:

   - Provides for OLA (Oregon Library Association) involvement in
   recommending board members;
   - Acknowledges that collaboration is critical among the State Library,
   the State Law Library, and State Archives, as each has unique resources and
   services; and
   - Maintains the core mission of the State Library while addressing
   contemporary needs.

Thank you for your time and your support of Oregon's libraries.

Regards,

YOUR NAME HERE

Template for State Senators

Dear Senator________,
My name is ______ and as one of your constituents and as a member of the
Oregon Library Association and a Librarian at _______________ I am asking
for your support of libraries.

There are two bills to which we'd like to draw your attention:* SB 5519, **Relating
to the financial administration of the State Library; *and *SB 84,
Standards for Accelerated College Credit Programs for High School Students*.

*SB 5519: Relating to the financial administration of the State Library*
This bill is the State Library's budget that includes the *Ready to Read
Program*. The current Ready to Read Grant program is proven successful,
with over 200,000 children participating in Summer Reading Programs in 2014
and with increased program attendance. In 2014, 21,000,000 items were
checked out by participating children! Last year all 131 eligible public
libraries applied for and received grants.

This year we are asking for your support to:

   - Increase funding to $1 per child. In 2014 funding was at $0.94 per
   child.

*SB 84: Standards for Accelerated College Credit Programs for High School
Students*

Although this bill will not move forward this session, please know that OLA
supports adding a standard that requires every high school with students
enrolled in an accelerated college credit program to maintain a school
library staffed with a certified teacher librarian and providing access to
relevant and adequate information resources.

We support this because:

   - High school students taking college credit need to use more
   sophisticated information resources.
   - School libraries with certified teacher librarians are key to
   students' educational successes.
   - Oregon's K-12 schools have lost many of their teacher librarians over
   the past 20 years.