[Libs-Or] Fwd: [alacro-l] Now Accepting Applications for 2016 Heart of the Community Projects | Placemaking News

Suzanne Sager bvss at pdx.edu
Mon Aug 24 08:10:16 PDT 2015

FYI,

Suzanne Sager

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Don Wood <dwood at ala.org>
Date: Fri, Aug 21, 2015 at 7:24 AM
Subject: [alacro-l] Now Accepting Applications for 2016 Heart of the
Community Projects | Placemaking News
To: "alacro-l at lists.ala.org" <alacro-l at lists.ala.org>

[image: Project for Public Spaces]
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=b02196e645&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=af997a299d&e=fc978a1576>
Now Accepting Applications for 2016 *Heart of the Community*Projects!
<http://pps.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=c79609c184&e=fc978a1576>

It’s an exciting week here at Project for Public Spaces! After another
successful year of reimagining public spaces in communities around the
country, we are ready to begin accepting applications for the 2016
Southwest Airlines *Heart of the Community* grant program.

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=e6a2433f90&e=fc978a1576>
*Creative Communities and Arts-Based Placemaking*
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=cbe1674039&e=fc978a1576>

Arts-based Placemaking is an integrative approach to urban planning and
community building that stimulates local economies and leads to increased
innovation, cultural diversity, and civic engagement. Since creativity
fuels place value, the benefits of using arts and culture to tap into a
place’s unique character extend well beyond the art world. Across sectors
and at all levels, today’s leaders and policymakers are increasingly
recognizing how arts-based Placemaking initiatives can simultaneously
advance their missions in transportation, housing, employment, health care,
environmental sustainability, and education.

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=ae1c04f18f&e=fc978a1576>
*Carmel, Indiana: Roundabout City, USA*
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=c79f8b2023&e=fc978a1576>

The city of Carmel, Indiana, is a national leader in attracting new
businesses and residents by fostering a vibrant art-scene, installing
innovative transportation solutions, and promoting dense, walkable,
mixed-use development. Last week, the Mayor of Carmel, Jim Brainard,
stopped by PPS to showcase some of the projects, programs, and policies
that have made Carmel one of the most livable cities in the United States.

<http://pps.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=bdc59340ad&e=fc978a1576>
*Check out our new database of outstanding Lighter, Quicker, Cheaper
projects around the globe!*
<http://pps.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=f57491d4d1&e=fc978a1576>

The growing success of “Lighter, Quicker, Cheaper” (LQC) projects all over
the world is proof that expensive and labor-intensive initiatives are not
the only, or even the most effective, ways to bring energy and life into a
community’s public space. The proliferation these efforts all over the
world shows that more and more people are beginning to see how communities
can be created and transformed by making a series of affordable,
human-scale, and immediate changes.

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=acfa4f895f&e=fc978a1576>
*ICYMI:* *Reimagining Our Streets as Places: From Transit Routes to
Community Roots
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=84a7bdb0f7&e=fc978a1576>*

Streets are our most fundamental shared public spaces, but they are also
one of the most contested and overlooked. Today, and for most of the last
century, we have taken for granted the idea that our streets are primarily
zones for cars, parking, and the transporting of goods. This has not been
the case, however, throughout most of history. Across many cultures and
times – since the beginning of civilization, in fact – the street has held
vast social, commercial, and political significance as a powerful symbol of
the public realm.

"The freedom to make and remake our cities and ourselves is … one of the
most precious yet most neglected of our human rights."

*- Geographer David Harvey, in* *"The Right to the City"
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=3536679457&e=fc978a1576>*
 *|*
* quoted in The Guardian
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=558412d96f&e=fc978a1576>*

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=4602195fee&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=673e03f944&e=fc978a1576>

*These are the places we remember most vividly, the places where
serendipitous things happen, the places we tell stories about.*
* Submit your Great Public Space today!
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=da7c9ecfef&e=fc978a1576>*

   - MIT Puts Pedestrians at the Center of Urban Design
   <http://pps.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=baf8af93c1&e=fc978a1576>
   - L.A. will add bike and bus lanes, cut car lanes in sweeping policy
   shift
   <http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=1d989f16aa&e=fc978a1576>
   - A Tale of Two Parks: Campus Martius vs. Hart Plaza
   <http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=b359f1ec85&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=f1275b2d82&e=fc978a1576>
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=f1275b2d82&e=fc978a1576>
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=f1275b2d82&e=fc978a1576>

[image: Project for Public Spaces]
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=9d8763f69b&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=4bac4dd96e&e=fc978a1576>

Facebook
<http://pps.us2.list-manage1.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=dbecd80c2b&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=9b0b0ec9f3&e=fc978a1576>

@PPS_Placemaking
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=355b5fe966&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=2f78db011e&e=fc978a1576>

pps_placemaking
<http://pps.us2.list-manage2.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=a1ac0d5a65&e=fc978a1576>

<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=b4e3f22049&e=fc978a1576>

www.pps.org
<http://pps.us2.list-manage.com/track/click?u=2c803e70a8ad33c13a95a1ee6&id=1d1c28109d&e=fc978a1576>

If you no longer wish to receive information via this e-list, here are the
instructions on how to unsubscribe:

UNSUBSCRIBE INSTRUCTIONS:
* Go to http://lists.ala.org/sympa/info/alacro-l
* Log in on this page; first time users will need to get a password by
following instructions
* Choose Unsubscribe from the left-hand column and follow instructions

--
Suzanne L. Sager
Oregon ALA Representative

Phone: 503-725-8169