[Libs-Or] special use library cards

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney kbrodbeck-kenney at lincolncity.org
Sun Dec 13 12:25:26 PST 2015

Hi Emily,

We have two different ways of handling these situations:

1. For people who can't provide proof of address, we have a limited use
card that allows for two check-outs at a time, computer use, and access
to electronic resources. It does not allow ILLs or holds from other
libraries in our consortium. This card is good for 90 days and can be
renewed in person an indefinite number of times (basically the patron
just has to be present and request a renewal). We're also experimenting
with the policy that if a patron's account is in good standing after
having a limited use card for 120 days, he or she can qualify for a
full-privilege card. We've had a "guest card" with similar limitations
for ages, and just recently expanded its use. The response has been very
positive and so far there are really no down-sides.

2. We have homebound services (deliveries), but for those patrons who
are too far outside city limits for us to easily visit them, we do
books-by-mail. These books are mailed using a reusable pouch and are
labeled as material for the blind or physically handicapped, thus are
free to mail.

 I'd be happy to send you copies of our policy and of our Books By Mail
program, if you're interested!

Kirsten Brodbeck-Kenney, MLIS
Library Director
Driftwood Public Library
801 SW Hwy 101, #201
Lincoln City, OR 97367
541-996-1251 (desk)
541-996-1262 (fax)
www.driftwoodlib.org

 >>> DAVID Emily <edavid at springfield-or.gov> 12/12/2015 4:00 PM >>>
Hello –
 We are evaluating the types of cards we offer at Springfield Public
Library in order to best serve our patrons and community.

We are considering limited-use or ‘special circumstances’ cards for
patrons who do not have a permanent address, are homebound (either
temporarily or permanently), or have other circumstances that makes it
difficult for them to use or qualify for a standard card.  We currently
do not have the resources to send items out to the homebound, so are
looking at options other than this for people who fall into that
category.

If your library offers any  card options that fall into these
categories, could you share that information or your policy on cards and
usage with me?

Many thanks,

Emily David
Library Manager
Springfield Public Library
225 5th Street
Springfield, OR 97477
541-726-3766

If this is an unsolicited spam message, please click this link to
report it: Report Spam
(
http://gwava.lincolncity.org:49285/contents/spamreport.shtml?rptid=357912&srvid=195s08f)