[Libs-Or] Information about libraries, writers, and teaching writing

Rich Wandschneider rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
Wed Feb 4 08:04:43 PST 2015

years and years ago, Kim Stafford and Jim Heynen put together a program out
of the Northwest Writing Institute at Lewis and Clark College to gather
library patrons around a community writing project. The project was modeled
on a book done in Port Townsend years prior--it asked participants to
brainstorm places, people, and events important in the community, and then
it divvied up writing assignments,  Heynen came to the libraries and
mentored the project.

A book, About Wallowa County, came out of our project. It is alas, now out
of print. As I recall, Hood River and Toledo or someplace close to that on
the coast also participated.

It was a terrific model, got people who loved historical research,
genealogy, etc together with wannabe poets and novelists. (The entries, by
the way, were bylined.)  And with actual publishing costs--formatting
programs are almost standard on computers; print runs of 50 and 100 are
economical; even short runs of heavily illustrated books are feasible--so
much more reasonable now, it would be worth looking into resurrecting. Kim
--or someone at NW Writing--might be induced to help. A small grant to OLA
or a group of libraries might generate interest.

Remember, the community reads started out with one book in Seattle--and,
when i was at Fishtrap, we were in the first group of 10 nationwide to
participate in the Big Read. Now hundreds of communities--often through or
in partnership with libraries--are involved. Seems to me like an apple
waiting to be plucked.

good luck to the curious--i’m happy to try to answer questions.

best
rich

rich.wandschneider at gmail.com
josephylibrary.blogspot.com/