[Libs-Or] Policies and Pot

BCLD Library Director director at bakerlib.org
Fri Feb 20 13:13:21 PST 2015

I recently attended at the SDAO Conference and learned that

·         while public consumption is prohibited, possession and delivery
(sharing for noncommercial purposes)  of fairly large quantities are
allowed.

A number of scenarios of concern occurred to me regarding lawful delivery
for “noncommercial purposes.”  Below is a draft Q&A I’ve started to craft
for staff guidance. I will need to run it by legal counsel when ready.

 <http://ref.sdao.com/conference/2015/oday.pdf> Administering Oregon's
Marijuana Law | Sean O'Day and Rob Bovett

Powerpoint slides (pdf) http://ref.sdao.com/conference/2015/oday.pdf

See page 14.

Effective July 1, 2015, a person 21 or older can:

·         Deliver to another person 21 or older, for noncommercial purposes,
up to:

o   1 ounce of homegrown marijuana;

o   1 pound of solid homegrown marijuana products; and

o   4 ½ pounds of liquid homemade marijuana products.

So

Can people use the library as a space to trade/exchange their homegrown
products?

Probably not. It seems reasonable to interpret any kind of exchange of goods
as “commercial” activity, so that would be out.

Since non-commercial sharing is legal, can someone set a up a little
giveaway station at a library table?

Probably not. Section 56 would appear to prohibit such open displays in
common areas.

Meas. 91, Section 56.
<http://www.oregon.gov/olcc/marijuana/Documents/Measure91.pdf>  Homegrown
marijuana in public view prohibited. (1) No person may

produce, process, keep, or store homegrown marijuana or homemade marijuana
products

if the homegrown marijuana or homemade marijuana products can be readily
seen by

normal unaided vision from a public place.

Can someone use a tutor room for sharing (which would not be readily seen)
and just post their availability hours or a contact number for appointments
on the bulletin board?

I haven’t yet found anything to prohibit it, so that scenario may need to be
addressed by a policy.

Additional seminar handouts

http://ref.sdao.com/conference/2015/addtlhandouts.pdf

Perry Stokes | Library Director

Baker County Library District | 2400 Resort St | Baker City, OR 97814

o: 866-297-1239 | m: 541.403.0450 | f: 541-523-9088 | e:
director at bakerlib.org