[Libs-Or] Do you have bike locks for check out?

Palombo, Lynne lpalombo at oregonian.com
Tue Feb 24 10:45:12 PST 2015

I think this is a great idea. Libraries are so awesome!

Lynne Palombo
News research analyst
lpalombo at oregonian.com
503.294.5084 | @newsresearch

[cid:9EDED1DA-FF50-4C27-BCC5-6BFF10EC13E5]

From: BCLD Library Director <director at bakerlib.org<mailto:director at bakerlib.org>>
Date: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 10:36 AM
To: "libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>" <libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us<mailto:libs-or at listsmart.osl.state.or.us>>
Subject: Re: [Libs-Or] Do you have bike locks for check out?

We have 2 bike locks for day-use check out. Since we’re right next to the city park, they’ve have had a good number of checkouts but we need to do a better job of advertising them with signage, especially in summer. Staff are encouraged to offer the bike locks when they have the opportunity.

Our website has our usage policy<http://bakerlib.org/about-us/services/check-out-a-bike-lock.html>. It was copied from Elmwood Park Public Library<http://www.elmwoodparklibrary.org/how-do-i/special-collections/check-out-a-bike-lock> in Wisconsin.

Our local bike shop gave us a discount on a Giant flex-key cable model<http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/gear/product/surelock.flex.key.15.cable.lock.15mm.x.185cm/514/59220/>.
The cable allows it to fit a variety of bike sizes & we like that it comes with extra keys in case one is lost (but none have been in the 5 years we’ve had them).

Besides the disclaimer in our usage policy which staff review when issuing a lock to a patron, we haven’t ever required borrowers sign a liability waiver in case their property is stolen despite use of our lock. Most of our borrowers are children, so it’s unlikely such a document would have any legal standing in those cases anyway.

Perry Stokes | Library Director
Baker County Library District | 2400 Resort St | Baker City, OR 97814