[Libs-Or] Fwd: [calix] Emerging adult survey

Penny Hummel penny at pennyhummel.com
Fri Jan 2 16:23:33 PST 2015

An interesting opportunity to provide input on library services to  “emerging adults” . . .

Penny Hummel
Penny Hummel Consulting
www.pennyhummel.com

503.890.0494
penny at pennyhummel.com

Begin forwarded message:

From: jwinkels <jwinkels at utk.edu>
Subject: [calix] Emerging adult survey
Date: January 2, 2015 at 11:53:12 AM PST
To: "calix at lists.gseis.ucla.edu" <calix at lists.gseis.ucla.edu>

Hello Librarians
The term emerging adults is a new demographic; it encompasses ages 18-25.  This group includes primarily young adults who do not have children, do not live in their own home, or do not have sufficient income to become fully independent in their early to late 20s.  Emerging adults do not see themselves as adolescents, but many of them also do not see themselves entirely as adults.
Four  librarians ( Laura Liang, Jessi Snow, Vikki Terrile and Julie Winkelstein) are researching this age demographic in library settings and looking at how this age group is being served in terms of the programs, services, if there is a specific librarian assigned to work with this population (teen, adult or emerging adult) and how the library system is sharing and promoting this service area.  We are beginning our research  with a survey,  to gauge how many libraries/library systems are doing this kind of work.  We  then plan to speak to some of those libraries/library systems to have a more in depth conversation about the services and the librarian(s) that provide the services.  Ultimately the goal is to end with a research paper in a peer review publication.  We appreciate your input as it helps us capture the work that is being done for this population.  Please respond to the survey in Survey Monkey by January 30.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LWL8NLD
Thank you for taking the time to participate in this survey!

Julie Winkelstein

Julie Ann Winkelstein, PhD, MLIS
Postdoctoral Researcher
University of Tennessee, Knoxville