[Libs-Or] Body Odor Policy

Ted Smith t.smith at newportlibrary.org
Mon Jan 5 14:05:14 PST 2015

Do any of you have a policy I can use that covers 1) horrible (to say the least) body odor and 2) the library as a fragrance free zone.  Please don't tell me we can't ban/bar/exclude patrons from our libraries because of excessive body odor (see attached link).  I'm just wondering if any libraries have policies, or any cities have codified an ordinance that covers this issue.

Are any of your libraries fragrance free?  Policies?

As a side note: I talked to this patron and he "solved" the problem by dousing himself with AXE cologne.  I have one of the strongest stomachs known to mankind.  This guy could gag a corpse.  Patrons are complaining, staff are in a quandary as to how to proceed.  Yes, he has an apartment with a working shower - I know because I offered to purchase passes to our rec center so he could shower.  He told me he didn't need them.  I'm open to ideas.

http://articles.latimes.com/2005/mar/05/local/me-smell5