[Libs-Or] Body Odor Policy

Melissa Kelly KellyM at ci.canby.or.us
Mon Jan 5 17:26:12 PST 2015

Hi Ted,

Canby's Behavior Rules Policy addresses disruptive body odor.  Our policy is attached-see item 21.

We do currently have an exclusion on file for a patron with disruptive body odor.  The individual's body order disrupted others and also permeated the books she checked out.  When the odorous materials were returned to the library, they had to be discarded-and the rest of the bookdrop had to be quarantined while it "aired out."  Canby's previous director met with the patron to point out the behavior and explain the policy, giving the patron an opportunity to address the issue.  The disruptive body odor continued, so the patron was presented with an exclusion notice and asked to sign it.  Although the exclusion notice threatens a police response if the patron returns to the library, staff have been trained to remind the patron of the exclusion and escort her to the door, instead of involving the police.  However, to my knowledge the patron has not returned to the library.

Hope this helps,
Melissa

Melissa J. Kelly, MLIS
Library Director