[Libs-Or] WiFi

Cheryl Spangler CSpangler at ci.harrisburg.or.us
Fri Jan 9 13:51:03 PST 2015

Can you tell me your policy on Wi-Fi? My City Administrator  is not supportive of it and I need to convince him we need it. Something besides "All the other libraries have it!"

These are his concerns :

  1.   Which other libraries around us on a regional basis allow WIFI?   (Definitely ask Junction City, Brownsville, Lebanon, Monroe, & Philomath)
  2.  Is the WIFI supplied for the general City facilities, or just the Library?
  3.  What kind of safeguards do they have in place to protect WIFI?
     *   Is there a specific program that they have?  If so, what is it,  and do they remember what it costs?
  4.  Is it password protected?  Is the password changed on a regular basis?  How often?
  5.  Do they have their patrons sign a waiver, or do they have something set up as a policy that a patron would click on that is similar to a waiver?  (Think about when you are in a hotel, and you have to click a box that says yes, I know I'm not protected, and yes, I know other people can see my data, etc., etc.)
  6.  Have they ever had a hacker get past the system?
  7.  Have they had any complaints?
  8.  Do they shut down the WIFI at the end of the business day?

Thanks
Cheryl Spangler
Harrisburg Public Library
Harrisburg, OR.