[Libs-Or] ALA Task Force Seeks Your Input on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion

Max Macias max.macias at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 08:42:14 PST 2015

Greetings!

The ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion was created in the
spring of 2014 by then ALA President, Barbara Stripling.  The Task Force is
currently in the information-gathering phase.  To aid with information
gathering, it has launched a series of short surveys to be conducted at
times to coincide with the ALA Midwinter Meetings and Annual Conferences
through 2016.  These surveys are designed to help understand the culture of
the association, the profession, and our communities with respect to
equity, diversity, and inclusion.

The first survey presents the Task Force created definitions of equity,
diversity, and inclusion and asks individuals to consider ALA's current
alignment to those definitions.  The survey can be accessed at
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TFEDI1EMAIL and responses will be collected
through February 16, 2015.  ALA members and nonmembers are encouraged to
participate.  The final, analyzed results of the survey will be reported on
by April 2015 via the Task Force's ALA Connect community and distributed
through various ALA channels.

Please take a few minutes to answer the survey, which should take no more
than 7 minutes to complete. "Embracing and celebrating diversity, and
creating a more inclusive profession have been long-standing goals of the
American Library Association.  With your help, we hope to ensure these
values are upheld," said Task Force co-chairs Trevor A. Dawes and Martin L.
Garnar.

The ALA Task Force on Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion's charge is to
develop a plan and strategic actions to build more equity, diversity, and
inclusion among our members, the field of librarianship, and our
communities.  The most important Task Force outcome is the public and
honest conversation generated by its plan and recommended actions.  The
final Task Force report will include recommendations for ensuring that a
continuing focus on equity, diversity, and inclusion is embedded throughout
the ALA organization.

Questions about the survey can be sent to the Task Force at
diversity at ala.org.  Should technical issues arise, please contact the ALA
Office for Diversity at diversity at ala.org or 800-545-2433 ext. 5048.

Max Macias (REFORMA Representative)

--

The ideas expressed in these emails in no way represent any organization's
viewpoints, or opinions.  The opinions, ideas and reflections are my own

http://lowriderlibrarian.blogspot.com/

Twitter feed:
<http://twitter.com/REFORMAnet>
http://twitter.com/maxmacias